cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC Regional Channels

PeterFB
Tuning in

This subject has come up before but here is a new twist. Until a few days ago I received BBC Regional channel from the East. Look East ( I live in Norfolk), but now I am getting BBC South West. ( ie the regional channel for Devon, Cornwall and Somerset). Tried all the usual off rebooting box etc. It is not a problem with BBC transmissions as I can see Look East on my satellite feed. Phoned Virgin Media ( although frankly I don’t know why I bothered ), told no problem at their end. So Virgin lived up to their usual “high “ standards from their help desk. Anyone any ideas? 

4 REPLIES 4

sarahcole
Joining in

Im getting the same issue in Essex im getting bbc points west not look east 1st noticed it monday at 7am

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for reaching out to us @PeterFB, and welcome to our Community Forums!

Sorry to hear of the issues with the incorrect regional broadcasting being available on BBC's platform.

Can you please confirm on which channels this has been apparent?

We would need this information to ensure this is fed back

Thanks,

David_Bn

This has now been solved. It was however an issue affecting a lot of your users in the East Of England and was mentioned on the BBC Look East local news. The issue was with channel 101, ( BBC1). 
I have say the response of your help desk was as usual pathetic. Apart from the usual advice to reboot the VM box I was told that VM could only supply the channel that was broadcast, this was of course completely wrong. I could see that the correct channel was being broadcast in the East of England from a separate feed from my satellite dish. I explained that clearly someone at VM had incorrectly mapped the signal that you were receiving to the wrong region but as usual this went straight over the head of the person on the helpdesk taking the call. In addition although I was told they would call me back once they had checked further needless to say this never  happened. 
Why you bother with a help desk baffles me, it is more akin to a “helpless desk”. As usual I expect you do do nothing with this feedback, with more streaming services now available the time is approaching when I will drop your service altogether.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@PeterFB wrote:

This has now been solved. It was however an issue affecting a lot of your users in the East Of England and was mentioned on the BBC Look East local news. The issue was with channel 101, ( BBC1). 
I have say the response of your help desk was as usual pathetic. Apart from the usual advice to reboot the VM box I was told that VM could only supply the channel that was broadcast, this was of course completely wrong. I could see that the correct channel was being broadcast in the East of England from a separate feed from my satellite dish. I explained that clearly someone at VM had incorrectly mapped the signal that you were receiving to the wrong region but as usual this went straight over the head of the person on the helpdesk taking the call. In addition although I was told they would call me back once they had checked further needless to say this never  happened. 
Why you bother with a help desk baffles me, it is more akin to a “helpless desk”. As usual I expect you do do nothing with this feedback, with more streaming services now available the time is approaching when I will drop your service altogether.

Virgin do not source their HD/UHD content from satellite. The channels are directly fibre fed from the BBC to VMs master headend via an automated switching network provided by the BBCs transmission partners Arqiva. It is therefore quite possible the issue was outside VMs control. If the region on the banner of your box & the EPG still shows the correct region it is an Arqiva issue. I am London area, & we have had both BBC South & the BBC News channel showing in the regional opt-out slots a few days ago.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks