cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 Box with Hard Drive v Mini Box

davef28
On our wavelength

Up until recently I had 3 360 boxes with hard drive, this was changed to 1 with Hard Drive and 2 mini boxes. The functionality is not at all good on the mini box.

1) Can only pause live TV for around 3 minutes ?

2) with the Hard Drive Box you were able to rewind to start of programs if already on that channel, has this now changed.

Please can I have my 2 Hard Drive Boxes back, contract renewal due soon which someone else is looking at for me.

15 REPLIES 15

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@davef28 wrote:

Up until recently I had 3 360 boxes with hard drive, this was changed to 1 with Hard Drive and 2 mini boxes. The functionality is not at all good on the mini box.

2) with the Hard Drive Box you were able to rewind to start of programs if already on that channel, has this now changed.

Please can I have my 2 Hard Drive Boxes back, contract renewal due soon which someone else is looking at for me.

Short answer is no, you can't. Horizon is designed as a cloud platform, & this is (fingers crossed) how it will eventually be used by VM. You can only keep converted V6 boxes as additional storage. Once these are replaced you are down to one central storage location. When VM starts migrating customers to the full fibre XGS-PON network (due to be completed 2028) the hard disk boxes will become obsolete anyway, as you cannot record from an IP network.

Only the TiVO V6 boxes had running buffers on all 6 tuners. Horizon does not permit this.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

@davef28 wrote:

To pause for longer than about 3 minutes on a mini box you need to press record so it will record on the 360 main box and you then watch the programme as a recording on the mini box. You also need to have the main 360 set to fast start or active start.

davef28
On our wavelength

So recordings will be a thing of the past.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@davef28 wrote:

If you have the programme in question recording, then TV360 allows this. The difference, as mentioned already, is that TiVo-firmware keeps all 6 tuners buffering irrespective of scheduled recordings or not - with the ability to jump between them.

TV360 only "records" on the live channel and for any planned recordings. Any others are idle.

It sounds like, you had 3 x V6 which you converted to 3 x TV360-masters, and have subsequently had the additional masters replaced with minis. As mentioned by previous replies, this is standard practice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

davef28
On our wavelength

That now makes completed sense, they were converted V6 boxes, just annoying that prices go up and functionality goes down.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@davef28 wrote:

So recordings will be a thing of the past.

If Virgin does not implement cloud recording, then yes. The future is the Stream box, which is now the only option in new fibre areas.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

roy247
Community elder

If you had 3 converted V6 boxes working on 360 software l thought it was only standard practice to swap them for mini boxes when they had a fault.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@davef28 wrote:

That now makes completed sense, they were converted V6 boxes, just annoying that prices go up and functionality goes down.

This is what happens when companies get taken over. The new owners have developed their own TV platform which has been in use for years in other countries. Why should they pay another company a firmware lease when they have their own firmware already that can run on the existing boxes. They are looking purely at costs, not comparing like for like the facilities the firmware has.

Is cloud recording something we really want to be looking forward to?  Seems to me that will just mean catchup services with all the issues that brings, such as limited length of availability and potentially unskippable ads. I'm assuming that the "cloud recording" doesn't actually keep an individual recording of every program for every user. Plus of course there's the issue of not being able to watch recordings if your internet goes down (or is just being slow that night due to congestion, which will likely be worse if everyon'e TV recordings are getting streamed rather than being local)

The only minor advantage for an end user might be keeping your recordings if your box gets swapped out, but that's a pretty rare occurence and if the "recordings" have a limited availability time then probably no more useful than just watching anything you lost on catchup. Would be also interesting to know if the 360's habit of suddenly wiping all recordings also applies to cloud recordings.