cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo Box sound and picture loss if I use an application on Smart TV

AllanS1000
Joining in

Hi, I have had the Tivo box for several years. Recently I have noticed problems when I use another application (Disney plus) on my smart TV. After using the application when I turn on the Tivo box there is no sound or sometimes no picture as well.The only way of solving the problem is to reboot the Tivo box. I never used to have this problem. Same TV and Tivo Box. Is the Tivo box faulty?

PS I have also noticed the Tivo box is making a slight humming noise. I'm sure it never used to do that either!

8 REPLIES 8

BillBudd
Superfast

Hi, I sometimes get this issue, loss of sound after using an App on the TV.  In my case it is resolved by switching the TV off and back on.

I don't get this frequently though, perhaps once every two months.

Regards,

I do not work for VM. Services: 2 x HD TV (+ Sky Sports, BT sport), x2 Tivo boxes (WiFi) Hub5 1gb, Talk Weekend Phone on IP, o2 Mobile SIM on iPhone, unlimited data, texts & minutes.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will try your suggestion but it is a similar solution to rebooting the Tivo box. Neither are really satisfactory.I should add that the same thing happens when I occasionally use the DVD player . Afterwards, the sound/picture is fine on the Smart TV but with TIVO I lose the sound and picture unless I switch it off and reboot. It is just the Tivo box I have issues with. The TV and all the applications it has are fine. 

Hi there @AllanS1000 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue with your services and thank you to our community member BillBudd for their advise. 

Have you been able to try the reboot at all? Can I also ask if you have ensured all the cables are connected tightly at the back of the Set Top box? 

Hi Ashleigh,

Everytime I lose the picture or sound (or both) I have to re-boot the Tivo box. Most of the time I cannot access "restart options/restart the tivo box" due to the loss of picture. The only solution is to switch power off on Tivo box and restart. This works as I recover picture and sound and everything is ok. That is until the next time I use another app on the LG smart TV (normally Disney) or occasionally the DVD player. For some reason this interferes with the TIvo box. All the cables are connected tightly. The Tivo box is fine (including you tube/saved programmes etc) until I use the separate Disney app/DVD player) on the smart TV. Yours bemused...

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AllanS1000 wrote:

Hi Ashleigh,

Everytime I lose the picture or sound (or both) I have to re-boot the Tivo box. Most of the time I cannot access "restart options/restart the tivo box" due to the loss of picture. The only solution is to switch power off on Tivo box and restart. This works as I recover picture and sound and everything is ok. That is until the next time I use another app on the LG smart TV (normally Disney) or occasionally the DVD player. For some reason this interferes with the TIvo box. All the cables are connected tightly. The Tivo box is fine (including you tube/saved programmes etc) until I use the separate Disney app/DVD player) on the smart TV. Yours bemused...

The first thing I would do is go through the menus on your TV & search for a firmware update option. This very much sounds like a firmware bug relating to the TV firmware. The output from the TiVO does not change unless you change it, so doing something else on the TV & then going back would suggest the TV is making a change & then it not going back correctly.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi nodrogd, thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I understand your point and I have checked the LG TV for updates. All up to date. I had considered the TV but everything other than Virgin Tivo is in order. Thanks again.

Thank you for running these checks for us @AllanS1000 and thank you to nodrogd for their advise here too. 

I think it would be best for me to pop you a private message so we can take a closer look into this there. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Hello again @AllanS1000 
Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address, I have now booked you a visit for YV issues – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.
There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the My VM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment