cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiVo TV Control app drops connection

pgriff57
Joining in

My TV control app seems to work fine in all aspects other than the remote control option

it displays all recordings, settings, preferences and the like but I often use the remote option on iPhone and iPad to change channels etc.

have checked and rechecked all settings and network architecture to no avail. The box is clearly on the network as ithe app displays real time recordings and settings. The remote section of the app works fine initially but loses connection within a few minutes and the “cannot find a box on your home network” message displays.

My network setup shows the box online with an IP address and active traffic - can anyone suggest a resolution - resetting the box network settings does clear the error for a few minutes but the drop recurs every time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You say "all other aspects" work on TV Control, but to avoid doubt, does this include in-home streaming & downloading of recordings?

That feature is as reliant on the "in-home" same IP-subnet checks, as the virtual remote control - so IMO is the pertinent test.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You say "all other aspects" work on TV Control, but to avoid doubt, does this include in-home streaming & downloading of recordings?

That feature is as reliant on the "in-home" same IP-subnet checks, as the virtual remote control - so IMO is the pertinent test.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for the quick reply - much appreciated - I don’t think the points you raise apply here though - I have a single ancient TiVo box (Cisco) and am using BT broadband having only purchased the TV service about 15 years ago. All other aspects would refer to seeing the recordings listed - deleting them - using the guide to record programmes as well

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's your issue then. The functions of TV Control you're using are all the "remote access" ones. In-home streaming, downloading & control rely on connecting your TiVo to your home-hub. Which is the second issue you have..

TiVo's have an in-built internet connection, unlike the newer V6's for which a VM home broadband connection is mandatory. To make the "in-home" functions work, you need n Ethernet connection from your TiVo to a VM home-hub, which by virtue of having non-VM broadband you don't have.

Incidentally, faulty TiVo's are now replaced as a matter of course, with a newer V6. It runs the same TiVo-software but on much newer hardware... assuming you have VM home broadband.

pgriff57
Joining in

Thanks again - I have had many conversations with VM over the V6 but I cannot escape the BT broadband at the moment. I didnt really need the streaming option - my app worked fine in the past (up to about a month ago) for what I required - channel change and limited functions over recording - now the reset of the network on the box results in the “Reconnecting” banner on the phone or iPad only on first use - that banner does not recur when the app is next accessed or a few minutes pass - connection dropped never to return until I reset the box. Hey Ho - have to just use the physical remote.