cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin's online broadband test identifies a problem, says to check back in 16 hours

CDR
Tuning in

I'm on M500 broadband, and since last night I noticed that my download speed is struggling to reach even 120.   I found the online test, followed the steps (unplugging everything etc.) and now it says check back in 16 hours.

Does anyone know what is supposed to be happening during these 16 hours?  I have never seen this before.  I get the feeling that it will just give me the same message tomorrow afternoon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

May be try speed on the vm connection app?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM times are always provisional and can be extended.  What does a wired speed test in this site show at the moment?  www.samknows.com/realspeed 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Router

Virgin Media Hub 3

Device

DownloadMbps

Device

Desktop

DownloadMbps

CDR
Tuning in

Sorry, I noticed too late that you said wired tests; the device i'm on is not wired it's a laptop, the above is the result.  My games console is wired,  and the download speed last night was struggling to hit 100.  I have just this second tested it and it is hitting normal speed of around 490.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So the VM supply is correct to your Hub, that’s good. Also don’t forget VM only guarantee 30mb over WiFi. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consoles are not good for speed testing.  You need a wired desktop or laptop for this sort of thing.  If you are on WiFi you may be connecting to the slower 2.4Ghz band?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Also don’t forget VM only guarantee 30mb over WiFi. " This needs a little qualification. It’s only WiFi through VM equipment, hubs or pods.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

On 5G my download on my wifi laptop on your above mentioned website is currently - router: 39.9 Device: 15.1

This is not really addressing my issue.  My Wifi download has always been in the hundreds on Wifi.  I do not have a way to plug my laptop into the router, and this is not how I would ever use it.  

My question was about the virgin media's own broadband test asking me to wait 16 hours and the reason for that.  

Ok, if they only guarantee 30mb over Wifi that's fine, then they must have done something over the past few days, as as I said my WIfi has always been in the hundreds.  I did sign up to their email offer of 40% off for 18 months recently, so maybe I didn't read some small print. I expect there to be some catch.  

May be try speed on the vm connection app?