cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor download speeds on 500mb

Minichris23
Tuning in

Download speed has suddenly dropped over the last few days.

uploads are fine, BQM was fine until yesterday.

ce5f67716f8474d7b997f5364818216108126648-11-12-2023.png

Speeds are consistent over wifi6 and wired, I have lost access to the GUI too.

Any help would be most appreciated 

Screenshot_20231212_184339_Chrome.jpg

18 REPLIES 18

Viper-t
Fibre optic

Hi if you cannot access the UI you might be in modem mode? In which case try 192.168.100.1, if your just using the hub its 192.168.0.1 from any browser. Regards to speed test if its an old device it might only have a 100mbps adapter in which case 100mbps would be max on the particular device, I take it you are wired when testing? As this would achieve best results. 

Try fast.com or speedtest.net for more accurate test and unplug other devices. If you have a newer device and are wired and still getting low speeds, copy and paste your up and downstream from the UI to here and I'm sure someone will reach out if something is a miss.

Regards

Tests were over wifi6 1.2gbps link speed and a 1gb wired port.

Yes, in modem mode but 192.168.100.1 is unresponsive - ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE

Can't copy and paste any UI info, no access as per above.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You may need a pin hole reset.  This will set the Hub back to factory settings.  You can then setup modem mode again, and hopefully gain access. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I feared that, I have to reset this hub quite frequently. 

Is there any precedent to get an upgraded SH now? 

Speeds are consistent over all speed test sites.

Screenshot_20231212_195004_Chrome.jpg

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The VM Hub's 3, 4 and 5 are still given out as serviceable units at the moment.  Unless it's broken, you may struggle to get CS to understand you want a replacement.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

test here

Bufferbloat and Internet Speed Test - Waveform

see if your ping under load goes high but your speed is slow

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=3e355cb8-1e32-4e6c-ba93-cc117dfde714

Red BQM can be explained by the SH picking up a new IP address,  not sure why now as I havent pin hole reset it yet but thats back to normal.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Seems like your being rate limited due to load in the area for downstream might be many are downloading or over loaded route

---------------------------------------------------------------

I don't even know what that means in this context?

Getting 50-80mb on a 500mb link for over a week at all times is being rate limited?