cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Gig1

stevieH1
On our wavelength

Quick query after upgrading my M500 to Gig1.

According to my speed test app the new upload speed has indeed doubled to over 100mbps but the download speed has stayed the same, around 500Mbps?

When i do the SamKnows real speed test it does say my Router (Hub4) speed is 1,100Mbps so i am assuming the issue is with my devices/wifi connections although they show the correct new upload speed.

For info i have done the speed tests on iPhone13 and my Asus Chromebook. I have also tried rebooting the hub.

Not really crucial as the 500Mbps is fine for my usage anyway. I only upgraded as i thought i may as well double my speed for a couple of quid extra and I just wondered why i can't see the increase in download speed.

Many thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

carl_pearce
Community elder

The HUB 4 has Wi-Fi 5 so 500Mbps is about right.

If you speed test both devices at the same time they should still both see around 500Mbps since you have over 1100Mbps available, assuming the HUB is capable.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey stevieH1, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

I've taken a look at our side and everything is look great, how has the connection been since the weekend?

Have you seen an improvement at all? 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Martyn
Superfast

even if you plugged directly into the hub you'd get around 940~ you'd need a hub 5 to make the most of it, over wifi you see zero gain in my opinion. But a hub 5 would improve your wifi maybe so I would ask for one.

can compare the specs here https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals/hub

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

stevieH1
On our wavelength

Many thanks for the replies. I can confirm that everything is still the same, Download 500+ and upload 100+ so no download improvement from the upgrade to Gig1.

I won't pretend that i fully understand whats happening but it appears that the upgrade was a waste of £4/month and would have been much better spent on an extra Vanilla Late' per month 😂 Maybe it should be pointed out that a Hub4 would show no benefit when upgading from 500 to gig1?

I was offered a Hub5 due to the fact my Virgin Connect app has not found the Hub4 in the last 17 of the 18 months i have had it. Even an engineer couldn't get the Hub4 to connect but thats a whole other story. I long since gave up on the connect app ever working!

I didn't bother with the Hub5 as the engineer said it probably still wont connect and the Hub4 seemed ok for my requirement. Probably should have took it!

Last question, are the wifi pods any good? I have a Ring camera on my drive and this only receives (weak) wifi with the help of a wifi extender. Would the pods work better than my extender or do they work similar to the wifi upgrade and the connect app, as in not at all 😂

Many thanks.

There is a benefit as you get 1130Mbps shared across all your devices rather than 500Mbps.

the limiting factor is the device most likey and the fact you're on wifi. if you want better speeds should be using ethernet imo.

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

I am trying to understand what you mean but failing miserably!

When I was on the M500 I had no trouble seeing this speed during tests regardless of what I had connected to WiFi.

If what you say is correct why do I only see a speed of 500 from the new gig1 even when I disconnect everything else.

Applogies if I am misunderstanding.

stevieH1
On our wavelength

Apologies but again my lack of understanding could be an issue here.

Are you suggesting I connect everything by Ethernet cable? I don’t think walking around the house with an Ethernet cable hanging out of my mobile phone is really viable 😁

Joking aside I can’t believe that the advertised speeds are only available if everything is connected by cable? If this is the case I think people should be made aware?

@stevieH1 wrote:

I am trying to understand what you mean but failing miserably!

When I was on the M500 I had no trouble seeing this speed during tests regardless of what I had connected to WiFi.

If what you say is correct why do I only see a speed of 500 from the new gig1 even when I disconnect everything else.

Applogies if I am misunderstanding.

A single device is limited based on the Wi-Fi standards used.

Two devices will still 'see' 500Mbps each, at the same time.

When on M500 two devices would be limited to around 250Mbps each, at the same time.