cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Myself and lots of others experiencing significant packet loss on VPN connection to work

robm55
Joining in

Myself and a number of my colleagues at different locations who have Virgin Media broadband connections at home have started to see between 50% and 80% packet loss on connections to work through VPN. This started about 11:30am GMT today 16th May 2024. 

No packet loss at all if connect to the VPN through my phone's mobile data connection (EE) and no VPN issues being reported by users connecting on non-Virgin networks.  I remember Virgin packet shaping VPN connection about 18 months ago which caused the same symptoms.

Non-VPN traffic through Virgin is working normally without packet loss and at full speed

I can't see any way to report this to Virgin. 

9 REPLIES 9

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Try hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

lotharmat
Community elder

Same here - Am already in Modem mode!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

MexicoMatt
Tuning in

I am experiencing exactly the same problem, and it started around the same time this morning. I am getting 500-700Mb speeds WITHOUT my VPN (even though i have a 1Gb connection, but whatever) and getting LESS Than 1Mb when connected through the VPN, 0.20Mb - 0.86Mb speeds. I am unable to work at those speeds. 

laney85
Settling in

I am having exactly the same issues.  Are you NHS?

laney85
Settling in

Sounds like a security issue with Virgin Media.  Any idea how to contact them?

Aye! Cisco VPN

lotharmat
Community elder

Looks like it may be resolving!

MexicoMatt
Tuning in

I have just sorted out this issue for me. I am also using a TPp-Link Archer C7 (running OpenWRT) and Cisco VPN.  I managed to get through to Virgin (0345 454 1111) and they suggested that i do the following:
1) Connect my Laptop directly to the Virgin Hub, and test, which i did without VPN 800Mb, with VPN 100Mb. (normal)
2) I then connected back through my Tp-Link router and tried again, without VPN 650Mb +/-, but through the VPN <1Mb. At this point the Virgin guy told me well it is a problem with the 3rd party equipment, but before he continued, I unplugged the Tp-Link router and then plugged it back in again, let it boot up, and tried again, now have 1ooMb with the VPN connection. 

So no idea what changed, but the solution is literally,  turn it off and on again!!! (If you are using a third party router. I hope this helps someone. 
Cheers. 

robm55
Joining in

I posted to the @virginmedia twitter account and a number of people joined in with the same issues. I guess that this made them take it seriously and roll back whatever they had done to their packet inspection/shaping this morning. All working OK now for myself, my colleagues and the other Twitter users who had complained. Asked for feedback as to the root cause, but not expecting a meaningful reply.