cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Speed Test Results

Obiwan_65
Tuning in

Hi. I have VM Broadband, with a speed of 350Mbps which was boosted from 250Mbps with Volt. Up until recently I usually get around 360 or more Mbps, using the Virgin Media speed test on my phone using WiFi, or an app on my TV, also using WiFi. Last night I noticed my speed is being reported at around 250 to 270Mbps on a speed test app on my TV. When I tried the Virgin Media speed test using my phone browser, which is Samsung Internet, I was getting less than 200Mbps. Sometimes barely over 150.

I just tried using the Virgin Media speed test Web page again, but this time using the Google Chrome browser on my phone, and it is showing over 350Mbps.

I read some posts on here and found the site SamKnows RealSpeed, and that site is giving me around 380Mbps.

I've never before seen so much conflicting results with my speed test. My question is: Is this SamKnows RealSpeed site a good indication of my Internet speed, and can be trusted, and is my connection actually ok?

Last night I used the Virgin Media app on my phone to check my connection, and it said that I should reset my router. I did do that and nothing seems to have changed. And it now doesn't report any problems.

1000030311-01.jpeg

14 REPLIES 14

OK, thanks for the info.

It's not really the Wifi coverage. I should be able to use the VM extender pods at some point. It's just I thought there was something amiss with my connection and now my Hub 3 is showing solid red LED status. Rather than exchange the hub I am willing to pay an extra tenner a month to go up to 1Gbs, (with a 'Volted' 500Mbs package). Hopefully receive the Hub 5 and have WiFi 6 for my Firestick 4K Max and future Internet shenanigans.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Your choice. For £10 a month you could soon buy a good mesh system and throw away those pods. When it's paid for you have your own WiFi and no more cost.

On the 1Gbps tariff you may get a Hub4 or Hub5. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi ya. Just letting you know as requested that I still haven't heard anything regarding my request to renew my contract with a new offer. Would be grateful for any help.

Hi @Obiwan_65 👋.

Thanks for the update on this, there can be very conflicting information as when using a mobile device or a tablet, gaming console will only provide a speed test for what WiFi channel they are on, so 2.4ghz & 5ghz, they have variable speeds over distance, so the 2.4ghz is good for longer range but has slower speed with a max speed, then the 5ghz is for faster speeds over a shorter distance. Then the device and what it is capable of, ie, does it only work over 2.4ghz or 5ghz or both, and how much speed is required for the device to operate at.

If you are using a laptop/PC you will get more accurate speeds, but again the device age and compatibility a part of which side of the WiFi  it will be connected on but will also give you a more accurate reading, but more precise over a wired connection.

We can also look into the new offers that may be available for you, for that we would need to bring you in for a private message. Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina