cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent speeds

Rebecca1250
Joining in

Hi 

I’m not sure if what I’m looking for is akin to a mythical creature. 

We recently moved into a 3 bed bungalow. All rooms are on the ground floor. 
Virgin came in January and fitted the broadband , we have a hub 4 and were on the 125 package. However , we were struggling with coverage /speed slowing significantly.. to the extent I was losing connection via VPN to my work , kids were having buffering on their fire sticks and on their PS4/Switch, on occasion our phones were also switching to mobile data. I rang up and was recommended to increase the package to 250 which we did and we have had a pod put in.

However , we are still struggling. We’ve done the realtime Sam speed tests, I’ve checked speeds on the app etc and generally they are good at 100+ when they are good, but there are times when it’s dropping significantly to 20 ish and that’s when the games are lagging , Netflix’s or fire sticks are buffering etc. I don’t know if I’ve just got expectations that are too great but it doesn’t feel “stable” if that makes sense. I’m talking issues multiple times in a couple of hours.

I’ve done all the checks, no issues in local area, done re - boots etc etc. At the moment our old BT service is looking really attractive.

Am I wanting the impossible in constant , consistent coverage/speeds? I’ve rung customer services twice, the answer was a pod but it’s not made any difference and when they check the speeds are good - which I’m not denying - but then there are consistently periods of time that drops significantly.

Any help or words of wisdom appreciated!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

Create a BQM and post the live link.

We need to determine if you have a good noise free line before spirting out generic phrases like "You need a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and put hub in modem mode".

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You need a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and put hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

carl_pearce
Community elder

Create a BQM and post the live link.

We need to determine if you have a good noise free line before spirting out generic phrases like "You need a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and put hub in modem mode".

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Again the VM tactic " upgrade your speed to fix the Wifi" .....   Never upgrade to fix a problem, you need to get the problem fixed first.  Anyway, the horse has bolted.

Following on from @carl_pearce  advice, if you get your issue sorted we can turn to the Wifi.   As you live in a bungalow, you are in the best position to fit proper PoE Wifi Access Points on the ceilings.  These are small units like smoke alarms and get powered from a PoE switch.  PoE is Power over Ethernet.  Easy to install, and you can place them where you need them with little to no disruption as all the wiring is in the roof space.  I have 3 of these and I have no Wifi issues anywhere in the property, including the garage and garden.  -   Food for thought?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Rebecca1250 

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

Sorry to hear you have been having connectivity and speed issues since joining us in January. We can understand the frustration caused and we want to best help. I can see you recently had a WiFi pod added to your set up https://www.virginmedia.com/help/booster-and-wi-fi-pods Can you let me know if service has improved since? Do you need any further help?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks I have tried to do this but it’s not showing up anything on the monitor, I think I may need to do something to the hub settings and then I will report back

Definitely, I am going to look into this as it’s all getting very frustrating. 

Hi, unfortunately no improvement at all. The router is definitely showing good speeds but whilst we may get good speeds on devices every now and then it is consistently dropping. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suspect the "Intelligent" Wifi setup is moving your devices between channels and this will cause dropouts in the Wifi, albeit a miniscule moment.  Unfortunately you have the Pods, so you can't disable this on the Hub, as the Pods need it to work.  Otherwise you could have manually split the Wifi bands and set the channels not to move.  Really it's best to use cable where possible, as Wifi, as handy as it is, is also a minefield to setup properly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Rebecca1250,

Thank you for expanding. I've just checked over things on our systems and I'm unable to detect any known faults at the moment. Are things any better for you at all today?

If the issues are ongoing, can you confirm if you're experiencing any problems with the wired connection at all too, or just wireless/Wi-Fi?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!