cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.2 gbps

squig2022
Joining in

When are virgin bringing this out. Heard its not far off ?

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How long is a piece of elastic? VM staff either will not know of the plans for this or if they do will not disclose them. You’ll know when it’s announced. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

IPFreely
Fibre optic

About the time BT release their 1.5-1.8 Gbit product. 

VM's DOCSIS 3.1 network is good for 2.2Gbps but this won't happen as VM is flat out working to get microducts and fibre in place for the migration to XGS-PON (to be completed by 2028).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

There is some talk about the future in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQkifgBZ-jw

I believe he touches the 2.2 Gbps subject in that presentation (about it being a fantasy or not).

Thanks, I'll have a watch. 

2.2 down isn't onerous: the investment to get everywhere to 100 up upgraded the downstream spectrum at the same time. 2.2 is a case of enlarging the existing OFDM block and/or adding another.

Spectrum is used up to 750 MHz only and everywhere should be a gig or 1.2 now. 

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

VM's DOCSIS 3.1 network is good for 2.2Gbps but this won't happen as VM is flat out working to get microducts and fibre in place for the migration to XGS-PON (to be completed by 2028).

Do you think the folks who would reconfigure the DoCSIS network are out on the street unblocking ducts, installing microducts, blowing and splicing fibre, Roger?

All the civils, cable, duct and splicing is being done by contractors.

What you say about contractors is correct but irrelevant. The management of this big and complicated project is being done by VM Networking whose staff are fully engaged in getting all current 16.2m premises available for XGS-PON over fibre, and they are not going to waste a second of their valuable time on upgrading the DOCSIS network to 2.2Gbps for a handful of people who want it. There's already work underway to increase the Gig1 upload speed from 52Mbps to 100Mbps, and that will do for quite some time. Just because something is technically feasible doesn't mean that it makes commercial sense, and that's what you need to understand.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Either you didn't understand my earlier post, in which case perhaps you shouldn't be offering your opinion with such assurance, or you just don't believe it which is fine.

Take some time to watch the video linked above when you have it. It's very informative on the feasibility of 2.2 and confirms my post on spectrum availability. Given your comment about how all VM's engineering resources are devoted to Mustang you might find the dedicated resources interesting, too.

It's not a big investment and doesn't need huge resources either financially or in terms of engineering. 

The commercial driver for 2.2 is really simple. See the last paragraph of this: https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tips-and-tricks/gig1-fastest-broadband-uk then read this: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/03/openreach-extend-uk-pilot-of-1-2gbps-and-1-8gbps-fttp-...

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's an article on ispreview which includes the video shown in message  5  here 

/virgin-media-uks-xgs-pon-full-fibre-upgrade-to-go-live-later-in-2023 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali