cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media "Dumped" Me Without Warning – An Identity Theft Nightmare!

Serry2
Tuning in

Have you ever received an email about a service cancellation you didn't request? I recently experienced this surreal situation with Virgin Media, and it turned into an identity theft nightmare. Here's my story – hopefully, it will serve as a warning to others.

"Sorry to Lose You!" – The Email That Changed Everything

It all started with an innocent email from Virgin Media titled "Sorry to Lose You!". At first, I thought it was a mistake, but upon checking my account, I discovered that my service was indeed scheduled for cancellation the next day. Panic!

The Customer Service Maze

I immediately contacted Virgin Media customer service the next day. After lengthy conversations and verifications, the shocking truth emerged – someone had impersonated me and canceled my service! How is this possible? I live alone, and no one knows my personal information.

A Security Breach?

What worries me the most is how this imposter was able to pass the security verification. Is Virgin Media's data not secure? Can anyone call and cancel services in someone else's name?

Consequences and the Fight for Restoration

I've filed a complaint and demanded compensation. Since I work from home, this situation has left me without work for several days. The contract restoration process has been slow and confusing, with each employee giving different information. I'm exhausted and considering legal action.

Has Anyone Experienced Something Similar?

I'd like to hear from others who may have encountered similar situations. Is Virgin Media responsible for this security breach? What are our rights in such cases?

21 REPLIES 21

goslow
Alessandro Volta

We see regular administrative bungling by VM take place on the forums as a matter of routine. In recent times, customers who have phoned in to give 30 days notice to cancel have found their services cut off immediately and unexpectedly.

Is it possible that your disconnection was a simple case of a bungled disconnection for another customer? Has anything else happened to make you think this was a scam attempt of some sort involving theft of your identity?

The scam attempts we see on here usually happen when a customer has granted a scammer remote access to their computer or a scammer tries to take over a mobile phone account.

Thank you for your comment. While administrative mix-ups are unfortunately common, my situation doesn't seem to fit that pattern. The Virgin Media employee specifically stated that someone claiming to be me reported moving out and that new occupants didn't want the service. This is false as I still reside at the same address and haven't contacted Virgin Media about any changes.

I haven't given anyone remote access to my computer or mobile account, so those common fraud scenarios don't apply here. The fact that someone falsely claimed I moved out and was able to cancel my service raises serious concerns about identity theft and Virgin Media's security procedures.

I'm not jumping to conclusions about fraud, but the information I was given by Virgin Media staff strongly suggests something more than a simple error occurred.

Hi there @Serry2 👋 Welcome to our forum and thanks for your post. 😊

Sorry to see that your account was cancelled without your permission. From what you have mentioned this sounds like it was cancelled as part of our goneaway process, which is usually when someone reports the account holder isn't at the property and can't be contacted to cancel the account. However, I understand this is certainly not the case with you.

I've checked our system and can see you've spoke to the team since posting this. Have they been able to assist with this matter? If not, let us know. We're always happy to assist.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Cardiffman282
Problem sorter

Submit a data request for all data and communication associated with the alleged disconnection request. Once you have these make a formal written complaint to VM and to the ICO. Also review your own security accordingly. 

VM links are below. Please update the thread with developments. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Thank you for the welcome and for looking into my issue. Unfortunately, the situation hasn't been resolved yet. While I've spoken to customer service multiple times, I'm still receiving conflicting information and haven't seen any progress towards restoring my service or addressing the security concerns I raised.

One agent mentioned the "goneaway" process, but I reiterated that no one has moved into my property, and I am still residing at the same address. This seems like a significant error on Virgin Media's part, and I'm worried about the potential for identity theft.

Thank you for your assistance.

Thank you for your advice. I've already submitted a data request to Virgin Media and will follow up with a formal complaint to both VM and the ICO once I receive the information. I'm also taking steps to review my personal security.

My complaint is registered with Virgin Media, but I'm getting nowhere with the call center. They seem unable to take any action and only tell me to wait. This is incredibly frustrating, especially as I continue to be without service and potentially at risk of further identity theft.

I'll keep this thread updated with any developments as they occur.

Serry2
Tuning in

IMG_5494.jpeg

The plot thickens! Today, I received not one, but TWO emails from Virgin Media about a technician being dispatched to fix a problem with my phone and TV services. Except, I've never had phone or TV service with them! I haven't reported any issues either. This raises even more questions about what's happening with my account and who is impersonating me.

Is this another case of mistaken identity, or is something more sinister going on? It seems like the issues with my Virgin Media account are far from over. I'll continue to keep you updated as I receive more information.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This increasingly has the tone of VM bungling rather than identity theft, IMHO. Phantom technician bookings are often mentioned on here when a phone number or email is incorrectly processed against the wrong account.

You need the VM forum team to look into this for you and advise exactly what is going on. You are more likely to get a sensible/useful explanation from them than other VM support routes.

In the past cases of identity theft on here, we have seen a rapid take-over of the customer's online life and identity. They often report receiving calls/texts/emails from suppliers and services informing them of new accounts in their name. They are often locked out of existing accounts. Their credit record also sees multiple searches as scammers try to set up new accounts for goods and services.

The ICO report is worth following up but you have to have made a VM formal complaint first of all (which will likely have no useful outcome, just a fob-off). I have used ICO in the past (a data loss issue) and their involvement was the push that made the supplier communicate with me (although the ICO process was slow, several months).

Keep good records of all the VM bungling and delay as you will be eligible for compensation for your disconnection

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

and the day rate is currently £9.76

Serry2
Tuning in

Unfortunately, my battle with Virgin Media has come to an end. After countless days spent trying to resolve an unauthorized service cancellation and potential identity theft, I've made the difficult decision to leave this company.

When Promises Mean Nothing

I've lost faith in Virgin Media's ability to solve problems and treat customers with respect. The countless promises of a quick resolution turned out to be nothing but empty words. Every conversation with customer service only increased my frustration and despair.

Lack of Accountability and Disregard

What bothers me the most is Virgin Media's unwillingness to take responsibility for what happened. Instead of acknowledging their mistake and offering a real solution, they continue to feed me excuses and delays. This attitude is unacceptable, especially when dealing with such a serious issue as potential identity theft.

Losses and Compensation

I cannot ignore the financial losses I have suffered due to this situation. Since I work from home, my ability to work has been severely limited since July 18th. I have informed Virgin Media of this situation and demanded compensation for all the losses I have incurred. Although I have also sent a letter to Lutz Schüler the CEO of the company, my hopes for a positive outcome are not high.

Warning to Others

I would never recommend Virgin Media to anyone. Their customer service is incompetent, and their security procedures are clearly flawed. I hope my story serves as a warning to others to avoid this company and choose a provider who truly cares about their customers.

Next Steps

I will continue to fight for compensation, but I have decided not to waste any more time and energy trying to restore my service with Virgin Media. It's time to move on and find a more reliable and secure internet service provider.