cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM CALLS ever since moving to O2 network!!!

Crowbar
On our wavelength

In all my many many years of owning a mobile phone, I've been very careful with my phone number and I've NEVER had any SCAM calls. The very DAY, we were sold off to O2 I start to get SCAM calls from Manchester pretty much every other day from a Manchester number. Coincidence? 😡

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bownyboy
Tuning in

I've had exactly the same issue. Virgin Mobile SIM for many years and counted the number of spam calls on one hand. Since moving to O2 SIM I now get around 5 spam calls a WEEK. 

I don't answer them and continuously block them (after googling the numbers on who called me)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

32 REPLIES 32

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Crowbar 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Apologies you have been subjected to scam calls. We would advise to look into this link 👉 https://virg.in/fraudcalls for the prevention of scam calls. Can we ask did you pick up any of the numbers that had called you, if so what was said? 

With the mentioning of the sale to O2, this will be able to explain more 👉 https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/your-move-to-o2.

Hope this helps. 

Sabrina

Crowbar
On our wavelength

Here are the numbers I've had to block. I only answered the first one. As soon as they mentioned HMRC refund I ditched the call and looked up the number and it was a known scam number. If it doesn't stop I'm switching providers.

351051803_1401025744051715_8840252518015154616_n.jpg

Hi Crowbar, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. It looks as though the moderation team has declined the picture but based on what you've said, they do certainly sound like Spam calls. The link my colleague gave you will help you to protect yourself against these sorts of calls. 

The migration to O2 wouldn't have had an effect on these and it will be just a coincidence. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

bownyboy
Tuning in

I've had exactly the same issue. Virgin Mobile SIM for many years and counted the number of spam calls on one hand. Since moving to O2 SIM I now get around 5 spam calls a WEEK. 

I don't answer them and continuously block them (after googling the numbers on who called me)

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

Check out this post. Probably relevant to the problem!!

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/O2-the-worst-network-for-scams/m-p/5335312#M23427...

Read the whole post and make your own decisions!!

Also, check out the link contained in the original post.  It's an official report too!!

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

'The migration to O2 wouldn't have had an effect on these and it will be just a coincidence'

Sorry Kath_F but this is not true.

As mentioned by others, when with VM, had very little trouble with spam calls/messages. Less than a dozen in 6 years!! 

Now I was moved to O2 officially on 1st June. 2 weeks, and so far, I have had 12 spam calls/texts..

Please read this report from a microsoft website. Apparently endorsed by leading banks!!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/do-99-out-of-100-scam-texts-sent-by-fraudsters-go-to-02-c...

Appears that they are right then, as 12 scams in 2 weeks, on O2, compared to 12 in 6 years??

Hi @HughJarsse, thank you for your response. 

We always take on board feedback we receive and will certainly pass this information along to the relevant teams.

Regards,
Daniel

I have also had the same issue, having been with virgin mobile for over 5 uears, I have never dealt with fraudulent calls on the level that I am now. 5-8 calls a week claiming to be from 02, and when I contact 02 they are not helpfull at all, just inform me that it has nothing to do with the change over. I am very disappointed in this, and wish we could be given an option to move back or cancel our contracts with no fee's. 

DeeEmm
Joining in

Sadly, experiencing the same issue - immediately after the 02 switch I started receiving spam calls, sometimes up to 5 a day!  I'm receiving mobile as well as UK landlines calls. After answering the first few I ignore/ block all unknown numbers.  Cannot be a coincidence.

As soon as my contract ends (7/8 weeks) I'm switching to another network.