cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin stress when moving house

Damon6969
Tuning in

Would like to thank virgin media for causing more stress than the actual process of moving house. My troubles started on Sunday 4th Feb when l called virgin to tell them l was moving house on Friday 9th Feb. Initially the call went well with virgin offering to send a engineer to connect me at my new house of 10th Feb which was the day after l was moving in, so far so good.

This all changed on Monday 5th Feb when out of the blue l got a call from a guy working for virgin who was outside the property that l was buying asking where l was as he needed permission from me to lift a row of block paving up to take a feed to the house. I explained that l couldn't give him permission as I didn't own the house for another 4 days.

I ended up popping round to see him at the house, the connection point on the public path is right on the perimeter of the driveway which has a raised concrete edge, l asked him why he couldn't just pin the cable to the concrete edging and take it up to the house but he was adamant it had to go under the pavers for which l couldn't give permission until l legally own the house.

I've now had a message from virgin cancelling my installation on the 10th Feb and pushed it back until the 27th to allow the groundwork to be carried out.

Today lve spent nearly two hours on hold and being passed from department to department to try and find out :

why they sent someone to do the groundwork on the property 4 days before the date I gave them that l would become the legal owner.

Why l have now got to wait for nearly 3 weeks for that work to be carried out when they managed to send someone within 24 hours of the initial call to them. 

I've explained that my wife works from home and needs the broadband connection but apparently there's nothing they can do, they can't even supply me with a WiFi dongle as a short term fix. 

It's looking like lm going to end up having to pay a early termination charge and use a different supplier for virgins own balls up as they were made aware of when the house became mine. 

6 REPLIES 6

Arissa_H
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Damon6969 👋🏼

Thank you for posting and welcoming you back onto the community forum ☺.

I am really sorry to see you have had this happened and there has been a delay in getting you installed to your new property ☹.

I will have to take a closer look and further investigate this matter 🧐.

I am going to send you a private message, please watch out for the envelope ✉. 

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Damon6969
Tuning in

Latest update regarding these clowns. Outside groundwork completed yesterday. Rang virgin install team to see if l could get earlier install date as advised, guy that I spoke to said yes we will be able to get you in this week we just need to wait for the groundwork completion to update on our system so ring back this evening. Called back last night to find system down so couldn't check or give me new date someone would call back. Rang again this morning install passed me to moving team, moving team passed me back to install team no earlier date available despite being told yesterday there was. Totally had enough by now asked to speak to retentions for a settlement figure as I'm currently on a deal until November from my old property. Retentions couldn't give me a figure as moving team had suppressed my old account wrong with the deal I'm supposed to be on that ends in November showing as finishing towards the back end on 2025. Passed back to moving team to sort out, lady l spoke to didn't understand despite retentions saying they were going to put notes on the account explain everything. She couldn't even grasp which house was my new address or whether I had moved yet. All l bloody want is a install date this week as promised or a settlement figure so l can see if it's cost effective having sky installed this week as my wife relies on broadband for work. Made worse that this all came about by virgin sending a contracted to do the outside work before the moving date I gave them. 

Hi Damon6969,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, we  are sorry to hear that now the outside work is done you are still unable to get an earlier appointment, although you were advised it is possible to get an earlier date this is only if there are slots available, this isn't something we would know until checking on the system, you can check Via your Online Account if set up to see if there are any cancelled appointments available, this is something you can do daily.

Regards

Paul.  

Totally not true, the guy l initially spoke to when the work was completed checked and there were dates this week and lm guessing if l was a new customer l wouldn't be forced to wait. I'm also pretty sure you know I'm unable to set up a online account as it still shows my old account from the address before l moved, and in the many hours I've spent being passed from department to department they have made it clear I'm not able to set up a online account yet  because my services need to be activated first. Shocking customer services lm not even able to check the deal I'm on is right but from what l was told the moving team have messed that up as well. 

Just to add one more point to this debacle l gave virgin a moving date of the 9th february, the groundwork guy virgin sent out on the 5th of February that wanted to dig up the driveway of a house that l didn't yet own, told me if my installation got cancelled on the 10th February l was then at the mercy of virgin as to when they wanted to install it as you don't let customers pick a date if the first installation is cancelled. Even though it was your fault, you had my moving date. 

Hi Damon6969, 

We're sorry to hear you're feeling let down. Whilst there may be some timeslots available, depending on the work required, there may not be enough time and therefore we wouldn't be able to allocate you to one of those timeslots I'm afraid. The team will always give you the next available time and date. 

If we're needing to postpone an installation, then again - we would give you the next available however if this isn't suitable, you can of course postpone this yourself although any postponements made due to that would not be covered under the automatic compensation scheme so if you're eligible, it would only be paid to the date we offered. 

In terms of the My VM, as you're wanting to use the same VM details, we would need your new account to be active so we can then transfer the details over. Let us know once you're up and running and we can sort that for you to save calling the teams. 

Apologies once again. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs