cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Pre-install woes

fides256
On our wavelength

I can't find the original topic I wrote in, I booked my Virgin Media install in September for installation on 4 October 2023, since then I have received the most **bleep** excuses you can imagine.

I am terminally ill, just had a liver transplant in January 2023, this has given me a temporary new lease on life, I could live for another few years if I am lucky.

I desperately need fast and reliable broadband, I have to stay in contact with the hospital 24/7 and mobile broadband in this area is all but none existent. 

So when I eventually qualified for a Council house, and it was in an area that could have Virgin Media broadband, I jumped at the opportunity.

I ordered 1 gb broadband.

Oh VM how far you have fallen.

Preinstall due for 4 October, endless excuses, every month about not having permission to do the install.

They came out in November, photographed the site, there is already a cable connection to the next door neighbour who shares a wall with me, VM need to dig 4 feet from the cable pulled for him to me, there is even a spare cable...

No we need permission.

So the appointment got moved from beginning of October to end October, to November to end November to December 13th and then to January the 16th 2024.

Being that I am living in a Council house, I have regular contact with the Council, so I organised to fast track the process for the permission.

They first applied for permission end of November 2023, they were instantly given permission, so they basically lied about applying for permission from 4 October to end of November 2023.

They came back to me in December, good news, they now have permission to do the installation, it no longer has to be moved to 16th January they can do it in December.

Next day I get a call, actually they can't do the installation in December, it needs to be in January 2024.

It is 16th of January today and I get a call from Virgin Media telling me another **bleep** excuse that they are still waiting for permission before they can do the installation.

Can someone help me calculate my compensation due to date, is it 104 days x £5.25 pd? Presumably today was another missed appointment, is there a separate charge for that, can I claim for all the stress/anxiety/grief they are causing me.

I have missed quite a few hospital calls because there is no reception in the area.

Am thinking of bringing my story to the attention of some organisations like maybe my MP and disability rights group, this whole disability thing is a bit new to me, I used to be on the other side of the fence, until I have to sit and home with little to no independence waiting for VM not to pitch up when they said they would?

fides256_0-1705403496315.png

I won't link who in the Council sent this, but VM you are so full of it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

fides256
On our wavelength

Contacted my MP Anthony Browne, Thank you so much for your help in getting the Virgin Media Executive team to contact me and get back to me to resolve this matter, I am very pleased to receive your help and support in this matter.

Many thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

fides256
On our wavelength

O dear!

I feel a sense of deja vu here!

Same thing happening to me.

Before moving to my new property I checked the broadband services in the area, am so sick of living in a rural area with 30-70 mbps broadband and getting that talktalk connection was great, I could actually watch films, tv, browse etc. just not game or so anything that required a reliable connection, but, I decided when I moved I really wanted to move to an area with more stable and reliable connection, 7 years since I was last in a VM area.

So when I found that I could get reliable broadband VM (laugh) in this area, in fact 1gb, this was a big part in my moving here.

Just had a transplant and have to be in contact with the hospital 24/7 and reliant on secure and steady broadband connection.

VM assured me in August that I could get 1 gb broadband here.

Booked the installation, first available, 5th of October, just before the appointment got a text saying they were unable to get permissions and a phone call which said they needed to do some additional cabling...two contradictory messages, but possible I guess?

Since then I have received multiple phone calls asking about my satisfaction for their services?

So new date pushed from 5th October to 28th October.

About the 14th of October I get told that the cabling is being completed and hooked up to the exchange etc. so I should be able to get a closer appointment, maybe in a couple of days...

Again with the messages and phone calls asking for feedback on how we did?

After repeated calls, 26th of October I get another text to say the preinstall work has not been completed yet and they have moved my installation to 23rd of November.

So I ring up, get repeatedly transferred from one agent to another and explain my situation, fed different excuses, eventually they offer me a dongle 5g connection, 200gb data in the meantime.

Putting aside how slow it is and how unreliable it is, it connects at 2g, and the broadband is so slow, my EE phone tethers faster than the broadband?

Today, had an emergency had to go into hospital, I couldn't get through to the hospital, my VM dongle wouldn't connect and didn't have the time to tether my phone to try and connect. FAIL!

Am actually thinking of going with another provider, even Talktalk have to be better than this VM rubbish, there is no assurance that if I wait until the 23 of November that they would even provide me with the service, I probably would get another last minute text saying that my preinstallation has been moved.

As to the pre-installation, apparently it has been outsourced to a third party, and the call centre has been outsourced as well, two different organisations handling VM installations, so scary, remember when NTL got taken over by Richard Branson, who has now sold VM and now VM under new ownership, read about how many people got pushed onto O2 network from VM mobile and how many customers they lost and then consider whether there is actually any point on continuing with this fiasco?

So my question is if we haven't even had the pre-installation yet, can we just cancel and go with someone else?

fides256
On our wavelength

No wonder everyone in my area have got sat dishes on their roofs, think they have Sky, though oddly when I look for wifi connections in the area it shows VM (pw protected ofc)

fides256
On our wavelength

Booked my VM installation in September for my move on 20 September, first available 3 October, that was then moved to the 29th October, which was then moved to 23 November, then I got a notification 2 days ago that it was being moved to 13 December, now today (22/11/23) received another notification that it had been moved to 16 January 2024.

The technicians came out to the property, several days ago and I spoke to one of them, he said that the guy right next door to me had VM broadband, the cable was already in place they just needed to run an existing cable an extra 5 feet and they needed permission to dig the 5 feet, they sprayed the ground for the area they have to dig.

He seemed to be unsure if it is Council land or private land, it is Council land, on the main street, doh!

They well know it's Council land as they did the installation for the person next door, we both share the same front public land, semi detached houses, he said it would take 2 weeks to get permission, so when I got notified that it had been delayed to 13 December I could vaguely understand.

Only, I checked with the Council it is Council owned and VM haven't made any requests to dig the area?

Just got a call this moment from VM pre-installation team telling me that the installation date has been moved because they are waiting for permission to do the external cabling, but no application has been made to the Council.

When I queried this the VM agent started trying to claim that she couldn't hear me and that she was from the pre-installation team and couldn't see my details etc. that I should contact Virgin customer care...we have already established that the pre-installation team has more access then any of the other branches and she even phoned me directly so clearly she has access.

What I want to know is

1. What is the rate of compensation?

2. Can I claim this even if they never get around to doing the installation?

Seems to me it would make sense to get a cheaper 12 month contract for broadband in the meantime and use the compensation to pay for this, rather than wait for VM to do anything?

They have provided me with a free dongle with 200gb free hotspot access for the first month of delay and told me that I then have to pay for it after the first month??? Do they deduct the free dongle off the compensation?

Tried to gain access to may account they say that until the VM installation is complete they have not setup an account?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Qu1: Day rate for compensation for a failed activation date is £5.83 and £29.15 for missed appointments which fit the scheme requirements

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

Qu2: You are entitled to the compensation even if VM never installs.

VM regularly seeks to avoid, or reduce, compensation payouts in the topics on here so you may need to go to arbitration to get the correct amount.

You should be keeping a detailed record of events (dates, times of all calls, messages, texts etc. along with any missed appointments and failed appointments where someone turns up but no work was carried out). Keep the record in a timeline format with links from the timeline to each piece of recorded evidence. This will make it easy for you in the future to put forward a case to arbitration for the correct compensation, should that be necessary.

Some people on here, in a similar situation, have opted to get an Openreach connection on a rolling monthly contract to keep them going while they wait for VM. Whether or not you can do that (or it is worth doing) may well be dependent on your area and what speeds/services are available to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Waiting-for-pre-installation-work-can-I-c...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Virgin-Media-Delay-6-to-8-Weeks-for-now/m...

The above links are not recommendations, just mentions of what others have tried while waiting. You need to do your own research on this.

The OFCOM minimum requirements document on compensation is here

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

VM's own version of the scheme

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/automatic-compensation

has some further embelishments (which aim to reduce or avoid paying out).

If VM intends to stop paying compensation (OFCOM doc para 38 and VM doc para 33d) VM has to issue you with a 'Cease Notice' and may offer an alternative to compensation by way of a mobile connection. VM has to pay the compensation for 30 days beyond the cease notice.

Has VM gone gone through this formal procedure and advised you of your rights by issuing the cease notice and the mobile SIM is an alternative?

Paying for the SIM is not an alternative once the data has run out and it is doubtful will have followed the correct procedures via the cease notice so, at this point, you should probably consider the SIM offer as an additional form of compensation, unless VM has explicitly told you otherwise via a formal cease notice letter telling you the auto comp payments will stop 30 days afterwards

Unfortunately the detail of all of the above will inevitably have to be resolved at arbitration, which is why keeping detailed records is important.

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @fides256 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community Forums. Apologies for the issues that you have had with your installation, we would like to bring you into a private message to look into this and resolve.

Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina

fides256
On our wavelength

Thank you for the list of helpful information, much appreciated.

fides256
On our wavelength

Contacted my MP Anthony Browne, Thank you so much for your help in getting the Virgin Media Executive team to contact me and get back to me to resolve this matter, I am very pleased to receive your help and support in this matter.

Many thanks

fides256
On our wavelength

Kevin from the VM Executive team has confirmed that VM cancelled the work order claiming that they never received the Way Leave permission. I proved that they did as I have written confirmation from the Council.

VM have had to eat their words!

VM have tried to play fast and loose, cancelling the original contract and then trying to get me to agree to a new contract at a higher price, for a shorter period and then told me that a new installation is due to occur on 7/2/24. They have said that no compensation is due.

I dispute this and I have not agreed to the new contract, the fault rests entirely with VM and they are required to compensate me for all of the delays. As far as I am concerned if it is this fubar just to get a new install done, how can it be any less fubar when you receive the service and develop an issue or at the end of the contract?

Fortunately I know contract law and VM are trying to force new conditions on me that I don't agree to, so no new contract can be formed without my agreement. If need be I we will take this to arbitration and let the Ombudsman decide, or they can negotiate in good faith, but there seems to be none of that occurring and I am questioning why on earth I would want VM in the first place.

I tried to get VM so that I had a secure and reliable connection to the hospital and unfortunately that has proven completely unreliable.

I have requested a NOWTV install to ensure I have a secure phone lime to the hospital and it comes with basic broadband which is potentially sufficient to meet my basic needs.

I just feel so let down by VM, it has so changed compared to what it used to be.

K232F
Joining in

I just joined Virgin Media Broadband on Tuesday 6th of Feb and already really unhappy and frustrated VM customer service and it’s making me question my choice to choose Virgin Media Broadband! 

Original date of when Technician is due to come out was 21st Feb 1-6pm that was choosen. 

I called the Pre-Install Team on 0800 052 1734:

Wed 7th Feb: 

I spoke to Debbie and was told that the contractors will come out on 7th of Feb to do the Pre-Pull.

Thur 8th Feb:

I spoke to Jaiveena to check if the Pre-Pull was done the day before and was told that it was not and it could be because the contractors didn’t have the right equipment or tools (without checking with them and gave me generic reasons!) and was told it would be done today on Thursday 8th Feb.

Friday 9th Feb:

I called back and spoke to Muhammad who told me that the Pre-Pull was not done which I complained that on two occasions, I was misinformed and VM didn’t do what they said they will. 

Mohammed informed me that the job wasn’t assigned and ‘coded’ and it has now been coded (assigned) for the Pre-Pull and Installation to be done on the same day as my installation on 21st Feb which is for 1-6pm.

I informed Muhammad that it’s Virgin Media’s Practice to have the Pre-Pull done before the installation date and the only time I can do is 1-6pm and he confirmed and guaranteed that both will be done on the same day. I was told
I should get a text confirmation within 48 hours of today to confirm.

I want in writing an update as to what is happening with my installation as I have been told different things each time I speak to your customer service agents who seem like they lack in training and knowledge of basic operational procedures of Virgin Media.

I need assurance that my internet will go live from the 21st as this has wider implications from working from home to have it in place as soon as I move.

Surely the Pre-Pull is done by another company (Avonline) and can it be the case both the Pre-Pull and installation can be done on the same day? 

Also assurances that I will not be charged if I wish to leave Virgin Media if unresolved as 21st is beyond 14 days from when I first signed up to Virgin Media.

I expect an adequate response urgently!