cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM were working on shared driveway (private property) without permission today

Angel7
Joining in

Virgin Media have been working on the communal driveway (shared by 4 houses) today without my permission (nor notifying me) apparently in order to install VM for some new tenants moving in next door soon.  They were blocking access via the only way into the shared driveway, and one of the neighbours couldn't drive her vehicle in when wishing to.  Also, I would have been unable to drive my car out of the driveway.

It was pouring down with rain so I opened my landing window to politely ask one of the workmen what he was doing when I worryingly saw him with a spade digging up some of the block paving (after having seen them with lots of cable).

This is the second time that VM have worked on this communal driveway without notifying me nor asking me for my permission, the last time was a year or two ago when I was ill and saw workmen standing and kneeling on my front lawn right next to my dining room window (for quite some time) working with cables or such.  I wasn't asked/nor notified, and if I had not been ill, I could have been gardening or such and they could have been completely in the way.

The main reason for posting this comment, is that I found it somewhat worrying having strangers (workmen) working right next to my car and my house (also blocking driveway access) without having any idea who they were or what they were doing, nor how long they would be doing it.  For example, for all I knew they could have been thieves trying to steal, which meant that instead of getting on with some important stuff that I needed to do, I found myself watching from the landing window trying to understand/decide what they were doing and whether it was going to damage the block paving.

It would have been polite to have got my permission and also notified me both times they have worked on this shared driveway area, so that at least I knew what was taking place.

6 REPLIES 6

Angel7
Joining in

Virgin Media have been working on the communal driveway (shared by 4 houses) today without my permission (nor notifying me) apparently in order to install VM for some new tenants moving in next door soon.  They were blocking access via the only way into the shared driveway, and one of the neighbours couldn't drive her vehicle in when wishing to.  Also, I would have been unable to drive my car out of the driveway.

It was pouring down with rain so I opened my landing window to politely ask one of the workmen what he was doing when I worryingly saw him with a spade digging up some of the block paving (after having seen them with lots of cable).

This is the second time that VM have worked on this communal driveway without notifying me nor asking me for my permission, the last time was a year or two ago when I was ill and saw workmen standing and kneeling on my front lawn right next to my dining room window (for quite some time) working with cables or such.  I wasn't asked/nor notified, and if I had not been ill, I could have been gardening or such and they could have been completely in the way.

The main reason for posting this comment, is that I found it somewhat worrying having strangers (workmen) working right next to my car and my house (also blocking driveway access) without having any idea who they were or what they were doing, nor how long they would be doing it.  For example, for all I knew they could have been thieves trying to steal, which meant that instead of getting on with some important stuff that I needed to do, I found myself watching from the landing window trying to understand/decide what they were doing and whether it was going to damage the block paving.

It would have been polite to have got my permission and also notified me both times they have worked on this shared driveway area, so that at least I knew what was taking place.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Have you ever given formal permission in the past for VM to carry out installations on the shared driveway or signed any VM paperwork to that effect?

VM does have wayleave procedures in place which often get mentioned in topics on here. Past topics on here have regularly described VM halting installations until wayleave issues are agreed, and permission given by all parties. I expect there will also be occasions when VM relies on information from the customer requesting the work that they have the authority to grant access and allow the work to take place.

Hi,

No, I've never given any permission (neither formal written nor verbal) recently nor in the past for any VM works.  I have denied permission many years ago when previous tenants at the same house as today wished to have VM.  My reasons were concerns regarding digging up the driveway and how it would look afterwards.

I hope they get their line installed. I watched a chap on TikTok doing a block pave lift to install VM and the contractors did an excellent job. I worry you're just trying to gatekeep your new neighbours internet connection.

No ... you're mistaken.  The new tenants haven't even moved in yet (think they will probably be moving in soon), and I've never set eyes on them, because that house is currently empty.

I don't work for an internet provider, so generally don't care which provider people use.  My only concern is the state of the shared block paved driveway.  Although you mentioned something you saw on TikTok ... there's plenty of references on the internet about poorly finished work too.

Previous tenants already had a line and broadband, not sure who their provider was, so definitely didn't have to

Hi @Angel7 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am not sure from here about the cabling but I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill