cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheffield broadband down

Skeltz23
Joining in

Hi there,

We are in sheffield and have had no broadband since Thursday. I had a technician booked sat morning which virgin cancelled without informing us, 4 hour house wait. 

I have rang customer support the last 2 days, all they can say is there is an outage somewhere. No estimated time to fix.

We have had no communications from virgin. It is woefull. We only moved to virgin fibre a month ago. Wish we hadn't, our copper based Internet from sky didn't fail once in 5 years. 

I did ask India what the SLA( service level agreement  )agreement is on responding to faults, but got blank reply.

I had wrongly presumed that the fibre network would be at least a ring topology, giving us a redundant network, seems it isn't, more worrying is that there is obviously a single point of failure in the network, so every time a cable is damaged or a routeur fails we will have a broadband blackout. Shocking service.

Anyone else around the area having the same issues?

7 REPLIES 7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you are on Virginmedia rather than Virgin Business, there is no SLA. All you get is some compensation after the first two days without service. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

WhiteRose12
Tuning in

It’s certainly not a ring-topology, more hub and spoke, but even that doesn’t really describe it properly - basically, there is no redundancy, have a cable cut outside your home, have a drunk driver take out the street cabinet you are connected to, have an issue at the headend you are connected to, and it’s a case of ‘game over’!

On the other hand, you are paying a fraction of the cost that a business-class connection would be, how about a guaranteed 100 meg symmetric connection for £400 per month, except that they promise reconnection within 12 hours or proper compensation for loss of earnings!

As jpeg1 mentions above, this is a domestic internet connection, there is no SLA - theoretically you could be off line for months and all VM would be obliged is to pay you a little under £10 per day as compensation. By an interpretation of the rules, if you were off-line for over 30 days, then you could require VM to release you from contract without penalty and would be free to go elsewhere. Other than that.....

horizon-in
Tuning in

I am also in Sheffied, no service since Thursday. Only got installed the day before. Gave so many calls to Virgin, no success, apparently outage for 5X hub users. This is insane to have no broadband service for so many days. I am thinking of leaving virgin as I am still within 14 days cooling off period. I had Sky for number of years and never had problem like this before. Only reason moved was 150 MB sky speed as compared to Virgin but atleast it was a working broadband 

sheff2024
Joining in

Also in Sheffield, had nothing since Thursday at 10am. Booked an engineer for Friday, they cancelled without any message. Called again Friday, to be told to turn it on and off several times, and that it would be back in an hour. Later in the day after another call, they said it would be back at 9pm. Today, they said it might be back Tuesday… 

We switched from Sky to Virgin to get fibre, and so far, we’ve had two blackouts - the first being 48 hours after we had it installed. It was out for 5 days, this time around, it looks to be the same. I’ve had some terrible service from suppliers, but this really takes the biscuit. 

So it seems like repetitive issue then, what a shame, I never thought it will be such a nightmare. I was so tempted because of 1 Gig speed and with Volt it is cheaoer than Sky. May be better leave whilst I can in cooling off period. At the moment I still have Sky for another week, so can still stay with them. They are not that good speed wise and price wise but atleast reliable and much better custimer service 

Did you not thought leaving in cooling off period ? 5 days no service sounds very bad

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Skeltz23 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear of your service issues affected by an outage. 

I have checked the systems at our side and can see there has been an outage that has been affecting you. However, we have no other information as the network you're on is handled by a dedicated team. How are you services today? Have you been in touch with the team today to see if there are any further updates at all?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley