cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install - avoid external junction box

HoratiusCocles
Joining in

I've got a pending install with VM and am hoping to avoid an external brown junction box as the house has just been rendered and the external box would look a bit unsightly, is it an option to instead have the cable routed straight through an external wall in to a garage? Happy to have the junction box inside the garage whatever colour it may be.

I notice another thread back in 2021 where someone requested something similar and one of the VM team sorted it for them.

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are around when the 3rd party Contractors arrive to cable, you might get lucky.  However in the event of any issues, how would an engineer check your external cable run?  He would need access to the garage in this case. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It’s a fair point, I’m not sure how often this type of visit is needed - we are most always home to be honest.

is there any other form of external junction box than the standard brown one mounted on the wall?

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Some of the boxes are grey, but not sure how you'd get one.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As @Roger_Gooner  has mentioned there are Grey boxes and also White boxes, but they are AFAIK all the same size for cable installs. If it's the colour, you can always remove the cover, prime it and paint it any colour you like,  Or, if handy with DIY, design some nice wooden screening etc.?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There have been cases reported on here where rendering has been cracked and damaged by VM installation.  I suggest that you take photos of the walls where the box might be fitted, so you have evidence that any damage was not pre-existing. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.