cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving router

Patrick77
Joining in

Hi all, first time poster and tech dummy, so apologies if I say something dumb in advance. I currently have my TV, V6 box and router all together in a cabinet. I want to move the router to the other side of the room, where there is already a power supply, ethernet and coax ports. The only thing I won't be able to do, is connect the router to the V6 box with an ethernet cable, like they are in their current location. Should things work as normal, if I connect my router to the ports on the other side of the room? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It may work, or it may not.  It depends on whether or not the VM socket on the other side of the room is still connected?  Try it and see.  The V6 can be connected via Wifi if ethernet is not available, although ethernet is preferable. 

If it fails, it's £25 for a non fault call out, and a tech will rewire the co-ax as needed to suit your requirements.  He will also check everything is within spec. etc.  NOTE - VM will not do any ethernet cabling, that would be up to you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It may work, or it may not.  It depends on whether or not the VM socket on the other side of the room is still connected?  Try it and see.  The V6 can be connected via Wifi if ethernet is not available, although ethernet is preferable. 

If it fails, it's £25 for a non fault call out, and a tech will rewire the co-ax as needed to suit your requirements.  He will also check everything is within spec. etc.  NOTE - VM will not do any ethernet cabling, that would be up to you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

IMG_0141.jpeg

Thanks for your quick reply. I couldn’t connect the router to the VM socket on the other side of the room because it’s actually not an ethernet port. Attaching a pic of the port here if you can help identify please?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That’s a phone socket. You will need an engineer if you still want to move your router.

😂 I’ve literally never had a phone line in my life. I’ll arrange an engineer, thanks for your help