cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Connection Query

LewisR14
Tuning in
Just wanted to ask, I’ve placed my order for the Volt M350 package. I’ve recently renovated and the existing coax cables were cut outside in the box and fed under the new drive. From the box pictured, a separate coax travels back under the drive across the window and inside the house to behind a blanking plate. This is where you can see two cables circled - the wrapped one travels right to inside the house. 

It looks as if someone has been today  and installed a connector and new wire in the box as seen in the picture attached. That wire wasn’t there before and I didn’t think they needed to add a new one. You can see the two ends that were already there (circled). 

Can I just confirm that this will still be connected to the existing wire in that box which feeds under the drive, to the other side of the window and then in to the house? I’ve had it confirmed that this wire is live so I don’t see a reason why not. 

Thanks in advance. IMG_3180.jpeg
14 REPLIES 14

carl_pearce
Community elder

Sorry I'm a bit confused.

Are there two wires in the picture you posted?

There is the one with the connector that seems to have been fitted today. 

The top left one is the end of the cable that feeds down under the drive and back up into the house. 

The one circled at the bottom is the existing wire that feeds under the drive to the Nynew Toby on the pavement. (I thought they would be connecting the two existing wires together but they’ve added a new one). 

Hope this helps

carl_pearce
Community elder

It appears that cable looks like phone line only, not coax?

Might be the image.

Ok, so presuming it is, can the left hand cable (circled) and new cable (with connector) be connected together? 

Also, i have a blanking plate on the inside which the coax is behind. Could this swapped out cleanly with a Virgin isolator plate and that coax used?

IMG_3164.jpeg

carl_pearce
Community elder

The newer plate should be a good fit:

When I asked the rep who came round to chat about it, he said there’s no square plates. Surely they have them if needed?

Also, are you able to advise on the other question re. The cables outside. 

Thanks

Yes, the two coax cables can be joined.

It may appear 'odd' to the engineer, however, just explain to them the setup and it should make sense to them.

Regarding the plate the rep doesn't appear to have a clue!

If the engineer doesn't have one, you can always buy your own:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1STec-Isolated-Internal-F-Connector-Broadband/dp/B0BHX4L298

Thank you!

Just want to keep the install as neat as possible. I didn’t think there should be an issue, was just worried they may be fussy about using their own cables. 

They are, however, the item I linked to is technically genuine VM.

Hopefully the engineer has one.