cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Need a Virgin Media Wall Socket

liamrich1996
Joining in

Hi, 

I've ordered a broadband only package and it said I was applicable for a self install kit. But I have no Virgin Media Wall socket in my house. All the wall sockets I can see are for BT. 

Tried looking but can't see a way to book an engineer for this?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Advice here is to look outside.

You should see a double “shotgun barrel” type cable coming in from underground into a grey or brown “omni-box” or Dropbox. Cables come out from this and go round the walls or go straight through the wall in some cases. You may find it is just a cable coming in through the wall, in which case a simple adaptor is what is needed.

If the externals are not there this needs to be reported, as a separate set of contractors will need to be bought in to re-establish the connection to the street cabinet.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Only box I can see on exterior of house is attached, can't see any "double-barrell" wires coming into the house bill. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The wires may have been removed by a previous owner.   You will need to get a manned install to re-wire in the sockets etc.

You can phone this in, or wait here a day or two for a VM Mod to pick this up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi liamrich1996, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you have no internal cabling. As mentioned above by Adduxi, we will need to change this installation to a manned install for you. 

We can arrange this here but I will need to confirm some information with you. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I also am having the same issue, please can I get some help on this!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roryhoworth100 please raise a separate post. It’s difficult to process when there are lots on the same one. The easiest way is to phone the pre-installs team on 0800 052 1734 8AM- 9PM Monday - Friday or 8AM-6PM Saturday and Sunday

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Roryhoworth100.

Welcome to the Community Forums! Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear you're also in need of getting a wall socket installed so your equipment can be installed and activated.

I'm going to pop you over a private message now so I can take some details and get this arranged for you.

Please look out for my message over at the purple envelope.

Beth

lizzieferg
Just joined

I have the exact same issue. I have been provided with a self install kit but have no Virgin Media wall socket. I can't find any way of organising a technician now through the website help centre. Please can someone from Virgin Media respond to me and help me to book an appointment? Thanks in advance. 

@lizzieferg wrote:

I have the exact same issue. I have been provided with a self install kit but have no Virgin Media wall socket. I can't find any way of organising a technician now through the website help centre. Please can someone from Virgin Media respond to me and help me to book an appointment? Thanks in advance. 

Call the pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734

Have you checked to make sure there is no other kind of connection? Sometimes there is no wall box, just a trailing cable. The cable could be hidden within, or behind, furniture. Occasionally only a very short stub of wire is left behind often hidden within a blanked-off fitting. The wall box may be branded with the logos of an old cable TV company (not VM). Past occupiers of your property may have removed the cable and sometimes they are removed by other installers, such as satellite TV techs.

If you have a plastic omnibox outside on the wall (where the VM cable comes in from the street) see if you can trace any wires from that into your home.

If no luck, call the number above for a tech installation.