cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booster pod

hale302
Joining in

I have spent weeks trying to get a pod sent out, soooo many phonecalls, complaints and let downs.

I finally got ONE sent out today, I've got a black pod, from what I've read it's the same as the white one but it has a power lead instead of being a plug-in pod.

Why have I been sent a wired pod?? I would prefer a wireless plug-in pod, and 3 of them as I am entitled to them on the 1Gig package.

I have black spots in my home, all recorded on the connect app. 

No way are we getting over 1000mbps in our home, and that's what I'm paying for.

Since being with Virgin I don't think I've ever been so stressed!

21 REPLIES 21

mobailey
Dialled in

I've just been able to talk to someone in the tech team at VM.  They asked for the pod's serial number, and then they were able to "provision" them to link it to my hub.  All worked.  Taken 3 days and 5 phone calls, but sorted out now.

The speed of the WiFi (near the pod) is very impressive (450Mbps or so), but a wired connection into the back of the pod is a little laskluster (250Mbps).   But still early days and I'll need to test more once it settles down, and can test a few different cables.

Good to hear that you got some good service in the end but odd to hear about the sluggish ethernet speed. What is the make and model of the pod? 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm surprised at the apparent lack of speed from the new black pods.  They are Wifi 6 I believe, so should be fast(ish)  Maybe you have the Pod to far away from the Hub to get a good signal lock?  That might account for the poor ethernet result as well.  As I don't use the app, nor ever intend to, is there any management for the Pods in it, e.g. setting the width of the wifi bands?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Judging from the size of the black device, it could well contain better aerials than the feeble white ones. Together with the WiFi 6, it should give much better performance.  Perhaps VM have got some decent equipment for a change? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

mobailey
Dialled in

Ethernet speeds from the new black pod are looking a lot better today: 450Mbps, similar to the WiFi6 speeds.  Note this on a 650Mps broadband connection.  So getting this speed across WiFi whilst a few rooms away from the main hub is just great.  I can even get 60Mps at the end of the garden - which previously struggled to get any signal.

Overall: I'm very happy with it.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Finally, a Wifi access point that works as it should. Well done VM! 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

That’s really good, can you buy Sagemcom devices? 

MacmillaN
On our wavelength

I just received a Black wifi pod from virgin and i’m struggling to connect it to my hub 5.

the wifi pod just seems to go in constant boot up mode flashing green, blue and then stays white for awhile and then goes into the same routine, basically sounds the same issue as @mobailey

I cannot see the device in the connect app, i’ve also tried setting it up with the VM connect app and it cannot be found.

the Wifi pod is only one room away from my hub.

@MacmillaN

I had exactly this problem.  You need to call VM, who will "provision" them together.  I.e. tell your hub the serial number of the pod that it needs to pair with.  It took me a few phone calls to sort it out.

MacmillaN
On our wavelength

Thanks @mobailey

i think i’ll wait for a staff member here to reach out, to resolve the matter, don’t want to be having to make numerous phonecalls, when it seems so simple to resolve providing the serial number of the pod to basically have them manually add it.