cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling installation

demsley
Joining in

This is the standard of installtion Virgin has put into my home.  Unbeleivable.

Virgin Install.jpg

21 REPLIES 21

Let me rephrase that for clarity (and with reference to the links posted)

Odd (IMO) arrangement of multiple fibre joins via plugs and couplers from outside wall box to inside converter unit.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If you're asking why in the Youtube video there isn't a single fibre from cabinet to ETB I can't tell you, so there is a connection in the ETB where the fibre is terminated and pushed through the hole in the wall. Inside the fibre is connected to an extension cable to the ONT. So long as the connections are good there will be no problem.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I'm not asking a question, merely making an observation. In a BT arrangement, the cable is spliced outside in a weatherproof junction box and a single continuous cable (with a plug on the end) connects to the ONT. I can see advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My guess is we are maybe looking at a property that is in an internally wired apartment block or flats with fibre coming in centrally. What is on the wall was probably a multi-media outlet that has been replaced entirely with the VM kit.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @demsley 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

We're sorry to see the way in which the installation has been carried out and that you feel this way 😔

In order to look into this for you further, we'll send you a private message on here. Look out for the envelope in the top right-hand corner.

If you're on a portable device with a smaller screen, click on the icon in the top right-hand corner and select "messages" from the additional menu options.

Regards,
Daniel

@Cardiffman282 wrote:

I do believe it is upside down. 

or...the house is😁

---------------------------------------------------------------

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

It's unclear how the fibre has got into that box, if it's rear entry then it's incredibly neat other than being upside down. If it's behind a TV then I don't see the issue. If it's in the middle of a hallway then obviously there are complaints that can be made.

BrownSauce
On our wavelength

Actually, not one single one of those connections looks like fibre to me. The one on the extream right might be, but I wouldn’t like that bend radius on it!

Is this a powered coax pre-amp?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Jonny-M wrote:

It's unclear how the fibre has got into that box, if it's rear entry then it's incredibly neat other than being upside down. If it's behind a TV then I don't see the issue. If it's in the middle of a hallway then obviously there are complaints that can be made.

The box is in two parts, a back plate and the media converter on the front. Presumably the fibre cable comes in from behind.

https://youtu.be/NxlQTCZkeYU?t=295