cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 week installation delay

bluesmartie007
On our wavelength

<span;>Ok, I'm sure this has been posted already, but I'm honestly at a loss what to do next. My broadband installation was due on the  15th Jan, between 8am and 1pm. The engineer didn't show. I called and was told it had moved to 1pm to 6pm as external work had not been done. I said that this work has still not been done, and that the progress on the app is still showing it needs to be done. I was assured it would be, and told to wait in. The work wasn't done, and the installation date changed to 29th, 8am to 1pm, with the preparing the property moved to the 28th. I was notified of none of this. There has been zero communication. I called up customer service again, and in that time the appointment changed to 1pm to 6pm, again no notification. I discovered this by checking the app so I was sure of the dates to say to the advisor. The advisor told me they don't have the means to do anything but would escalate the issue and I would be called within two days, and updated.

<span;>Two days pass and I hear nothing. I go on the WhatsApp chat, and I'm told that an engineer will be out the next day to do external work, then in the same conversation I'm told it will be that afternoon and I will get a call within 2hrs. 2hrs pass and I hear nothing, no external work is done, which is no surprise. I go back to WhatsApp that night to be told they are powerless to help and I need to call the number I did on the 15th, in the mean time they will escalate this for a 3rd time. Upto now Virgin have not contacted me in way. They've not notified me of changes or of escalation or of progress or updates. Not one call, text or email. I call the number the next day. I'm told that it will once more be escalated and to expect a phone call with an update in the next 24hrs.

<span;>My current broadband contract has ended, and I'm looking at 2wks without any broadband now. I'm not actually hopeful it will be installed on the 29th. The reason for this is the lack of confirmation/acknowledged of the issue, via any form of communication, from Virgin media. This can only lead me to believe this issue is far from resolved and is set to drag on. I have zero faith, frustrated doesn't even come close. It feels like Virgin media are driving me over a cliff and all I can do is watch  while they tell me they understand, how sorry they are and how they'll escalate my concerns about the cliff edge. All I've had from Virgin is a customer service advisors are repeated apologies and promises to escalate, with no result what so ever. I don't know what else I can do or who I can turn to, I may as well just tell my dog the saga, and be free of the incessant empty apologies from advisors.

<span;>I have also asked about the compensation. It says in the automatic compensation policy, that for every day they delay installation it's £5.85, which over 14 days amounts to £81.62.  Plus £29.15 for an engineer not showing. This amounts to about £110. I have asked repeatedly about this to only be told that it's automatic and will be worked out after installation. On the 3rd phone call I was told I will receive nothing as it's external work that is delayed and this is not the fault of Virgin media, but they can credit my account with £50 as a goodwill gesture. Is this correct?

36 REPLIES 36

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Your story is common I'm afraid, and could run on further.

VM try various excuses to avoid paying compensation, but most of them fail. You will get good advice on here from other users who have been through this. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

How do I raise a documented complaint? I can't seem to find any links, that give me any form of proof I've complained, such as a case number, or even a confirmation email. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

A complaint, if you can manage to send one, will achieve nothing at this stage as it will be brushed aside just like your phone calls. 

VM knew when they took your order that a new cable had to be installed and that this can typically take weeks or months, but they gave you a prompt installation date to avoid putting you off and going elsewhere. (As an aside, the longest installation delay reported on here is over a year). 

Find a temporary provision, like 4g or 5g mobile, to keep you going while you wait. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for the reply. When you refer to the new cable being installed, do you mean the cable from the street to the house,? Just Virgin media have been round the estate and dug up all the streets. My neighbour has had their connection installed months ago and is now using virgin media broadband.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Have they actually run the cable from the road to your house? That is not usually done until you place an order. 

- jpeg1

No, there is no cable to the house, that's the stumbling block. Virgin are in the area and there are people in the street who have been connected. That's the clarification I was asking. I'm on the same page as you now. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Have a look down the forum page. You'll see similar cases and learn more. 

- jpeg1

Hi Bluesmartie007 👋🏼.

Thank you for posting, welcoming you onto our community forum 😊.

Sorry to see this has happened and you have not had communication back from our team ☹, as this is not the level of service we aim to provide. 

Has our team advised when the installation would be for and what the reason of delay is? 

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

The date has been changed to the 29th, 14 days after the original. I have not been informed of this, in anyway, the progress simply updated on the app. It has been confirmed when I've spoken on the phone, and WhatsApp. I've very little confidence in this tho, as its seems the advisors say anything, and give all kinds of conflicting information. I'm not optimistic that anything will be done on the 29th, as the external work is due the day prior, and I've read this forum. Virgin media are a total disgrace. There has been no explanation given as to the delay, other than external work needs to be done. There has been no communication, no texts, calls or emails, regarding any of this. Last time I called was Wednesday, when I was promised a call back in 24hrs. No one has called.