cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

on-going issue - no internet & cable re-pull's resheduled

skylineboy2002
Tuning in

i initially posted a few weeks ago, i had no internet - i registered this on the phone to VM, and my latest bill came yesterday and no auto comp applied. - it worked fine for 3 years till this.

in between this, engineer came and checked inside my house and all was fine - was also given a new hub by a previous engineer (all within the last month).
he said that a cable re pull was needed at the cabinet showed a "mega ohm fault" (showed me an electrical meter and the needle was way from where he said it should of been and said it may be another installation has disrupted mine, eg another person's cable pull or work on network.

cable re pull was text to me yesterday, and i was at home.. i know i didn't need to be but i was anyway.

just received an email saying "we have had to reschedule - for next weds" - so all in all, i have been without internet since.. i notified vm on phone - 17th saturday august. it only came back when engineer visited.. but even then it was below 1mbps, aka barely usable. it has been totally off since his visit around 22nd aug.

only internet access i have had is, tethered via phone.

i have tried getting through to a live chat, but i end up in a loop of "lets try resetting equipment" - i know its not the equipments issue, as engineer confirmed and indeed i was given a new hub. its a cable issue / connection but this has gone on way to long (im sure anyone would agree).. so i'd like this looking into, as i feel a complaint and / or auto compensation should be expected by now. i reiterate, it has worked fine for years before this.

thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi skylineboy2002, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear there's been issues on your connection resulting in a re-pull being needed. Accounts aren't assessed for automatic compensation until the fault has been resolved and closed so if you're still waiting on a re-pull, it wouldn't have been assessed yet. In the meantime your billing will continue as normal. 

Once the fault is closed as resolved, the account is automatically assessed for total loss compensation. If eligible, the credit is added and will show on the next bill due to be generated. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

cable re pull was rescheduled for today - and as yet no sign.
i feel doubtful they will show up (again).

i need this issue sorted, i am currently stuck using hotspot - and am simply not getting the service i am paying for - the TV is spotty too - with missed recordings as well as the broadband issue (i assume these are linked).

please advise.

skylineboy2002
Tuning in

update:

phoned VM last night at 6.30, the lady on phone said that usually that dept carry out cable pulls 1-6pm, so obviously they were unlikely to show up. she said would call back in 24hrs. I was asked if anyone in household has additional needs, to which there is, Me, I have mobility issues so the internet really is a lifeline to the outside world if you like, that and TV.

which she did just now, the next available is 26th!!! so that will be 6w since i notified of loss of service, and even when there is some service (very very patchy, maybe hour or so each day).. its 1mbps or less.
so yea 6w with no internet and my tv is also affected - she said theyd be in touch AFTER that cable pull to talk about credit etc.

if they were due on fri last week (no show) and then weds this week (no show).. how can it then be 2w later for the next appointment? seems odd how they can do it 4 working days later (yes they didnt show but still).. but now say 2w..

very disappointed. i just hope they fix it 26th and fair compensation will be given.
the internet is an essential service these days.
perhaps if someone is going to be without no service for weeks at a time they should send out MIFI device hotspots (after all the do own / run on o2 network).

skylineboy2002
Tuning in

update - i placed a complaint after the phone call
i got a quick reply (20hrs ish).

it says "youll be generously compensated" after fixed - and then gives links to the auto comp thing.,

is this likely to be the £9 per day, tiil fixed? or are vm likely to just give an amount say equiv to a months bill etc?
the reply doesnt really give much info. of course i'd rather they fix it quicker (and thats worth the most to me rather than any credits) but 26th it is.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Auto comp info is below

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/automatic-compensation

This is for a 'total loss of service' on phone and/or broadband (TLS defined in the info above). VM has to credit your account with any compo due within 30 days of your service being restored.

Many topics on here describe how VM tries to dodge paying this or reduce the amount paid out. Customers in topics on here ultimately have to go to the ombudsman to get paid what is due.

In your case it is highly likely that VM will argue that you have not had a TLS but an intermittent fault (if you do get some kind of connection)

Start keeping detailed records in a timeline format with links on each entry of the timeline to evidence such as phone calls, texts, emails etc. detailing how VM has failed to resolve the problem. This will help you as/when/if you have to go to arbitration to get paid.

You could also set up a BQM to record evidence of your connectivity issues.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Hi Skylineboy2002 👋 thank you for keeping us updated in this thread. 

Our sincerest apologies about these ongoing issues with your service and the delays whilst a re-pull is completed to restore your service. 

You can find full details of the Auto-compensation policy here 👉 https://virg.in/autocomp - if when your issues are resolved and the assessment is completed, you disagree with the outcome we can always request a manual review of this too. Just let us know when we are discussing the complaint resolution with you. 

Re-pull works can sometimes involve multiple engineers to complete, or construction work and permissions from the local council which can cause delays, or put restrictions around when the works can be completed. This doesn't take away from the fact you are having a poor experience and we'd like to sincerely apologise for this!

Thank you for your continued patience. Please keep us posted following 26th so we can offer further support if needed! We hope the works are completed without any further issues ASAP! 🤞

Wishing you al the best. 🌞

Molly