cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet more issues with downstream/upstream.

SerenayaXIV
On our wavelength

Hi there.

I am back again with yet more issues with my downstream/upstream. Once again we are experiencing huge drops in both download and upload (mostly the latter, I think) with some packet loss mixed in. I am currently running a fresh BQM but it's being very slow to update. I'll show the one that was working up until it mysteriously stopped after a router reset below, though as well as what the current one has to show. I do however have this issue detailed in other posts which occurred in months past. Was unsure if I should revive the most recent one or post a new one but I'll link to them here. This should give you a good idea of what's happening because the issues are exactly the same. Huge noise on the upstream across all channels, packet loss and intermittent service in general. Currently it's at its worst. My router is currently flashing like mad yet I am not disconnected entirely. Endless loop and yes, it's been rebooted. Twice today, even. Anyway, here's the links to my previous threads.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Regular-Intermittent-Upstream-dropouts/td-p...
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Intermittence-in-Downstream-Upstream/td-p/5...

The first one details Upstream issues specifically. This was fixed when Networks finally found an SNR problem 2 weeks after posting and eventually escalating the issue.

The second one was affecting both downstream AND upstream. We were told of high traffic causing problems at the time, but a tech also came to the property and adjusted power levels on the 3.1 line and this seemed to alleviate any further problems after the high traffic was resolved. He told me that due to my houses location, it's possible that we may run into more as we're only connected via an RG6 cable instead of an RG11. He said he'd contact his manager and get back to me about it. He did not, of course. Much like when phone support tell you a manager will call you back within 24 hours and that never happens either. However the numbers shown on the router show the PLC to be in spec this time round, so who knows. Not inclined to say it's a house issue but I'll happy be wrong.

Regardless, the problem is back in full force now. I cannot work once again. Problems with both download and upload occurring all throughout today.

Below is an example of the effect it's having via OBS, a SamKnows test during a drop, and the BQM up until around 5pm today where I reset the router (denoted by the long red line). Current BQM is slow but sort of working. Of course, upstream router status also included. Can include downstream too if needed.

OBS.PNGHere we go again.PNGBQM1.PNG

SerenayaXIV_0-1693939991640.png

The only saving grace right now is that there is reportedly a TV-related issue in my area. However I don't know if that means that broadband is also acting up. It doesn't say so, but TV's require internet so who knows. Hopefully it's that, I guess. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/15c159f4b7fdddf9dbc370d1b974c0c031... - Here's the current BQM at time of posting.

Apologies for the bluntness, just getting very tired of this.

Thanks for reading, any help appreciated.

89 REPLIES 89

SerenayaXIV
On our wavelength

Quick update. Mentioned above it was mostly upload but downstream is suffering greatly right now. Everything is slow. No idea what the issue is but it's... nothing short of rampant. Router still flashing white and live BQM will not update for some reason (maybe the constant connection issues) but I can see the time progressing when I view go to share the live graph, so I'll post an update on that tomorrow I suppose. The packet loss is horrific right now 😞

Client62
Legend

Check for a known local fault on 0800 561 0061 - it is an automated service.
Customer Support are on 150 or 0345 454 1111 from a non-VM phone.

SerenayaXIV
On our wavelength

No faults reported on the fault line, and I'd rather not deal with phone support again honestly.

Anyway, here's how it looks for today. I'll keep monitoring since the problems started around 3pm yesterday. Seemed to be a correlation between peak time and problems. Even if it doesn't reoccure, this did happen last month for a couple of days too and it's concerning.

Live graph -

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/eefcc7b3c1d677ca033f20ee97005d1395...

Current snapshot

SerenayaXIV_0-1694005095691.png

SerenayaXIV
On our wavelength

More stable today, but still a lot of small packet losses throughout the day (shows on live graph) causing spikes here and there. Unsure what the cause is especially after tech's have recently been here. Since it's worse at peak times I can only think of high traffic but if so... why only sometimes?

Any further help appreciated.

SerenayaXIV
On our wavelength

Hi.

I don't mean to bug, but it is still present especially at peak time. The packet loss may be less frequent, but every time it occurs it causes problems for me as I am an online entertainer. Net intermittency is a big issue. Below are my stats for Upload and Download which have been offenders in days and months past as mentioned in the threads in my original post. Happy to provide more if needed but this is where abnormalities are showing along with the network log. BQM is still working (also linked above)

SerenayaXIV_0-1694195859408.pngSerenayaXIV_1-1694195885419.pngSerenayaXIV_2-1694195905395.png

No faults reported on the fault line. TV issue still in effect but unsure if it's related. Any further information appreciated! 3.1 PLC is slowly bordering on being out-of-spec so perhaps the signal is weakening too much again like last time? I don't know, I'm not an expert but that's what fixed the issue last time.

Client62
Legend

The Upstream channels all look like your dog has chewed the coax cable.

The 3.1 DOCSIS down stream channel has logged a quite insane number of errors.

SerenayaXIV
On our wavelength

Well, I do not have a dog at least, and this only seems to start once the clock hits 4pm-6pm or so, at least seems more like a problem that arises from either myself or the neighbourhood putting it through its paces, or there's a larger issue at hand. No idea.

I can see the errors you speak of though, and would like to know what we can do about it whether it's an engineer fix or a network problem. Would appreciate if forum staff could take a look 😞

Hi SerenayaXIV,

Thanks for using the Community Forums to get this issue with your broadband looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration 😥 I would be more than happy to look into this for you!

I have already taken the time to peruse your Hub stats and can see that your power levels are out of spec, which could be the cause of the issue. 

However, I can see that it's been a few days since you last rebooted your Hub, could you give it a quick reboot today for me so that we can get a more up to date view on everything please?

Let me know once you've done this and I will help further 😁

Thanks,

Megan_L

Josh10
On our wavelength

Can you have someone please answer my problem too since I’m having traffic issues and getting a lot of lag Thanks!