cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi dropping - laptop drops out

Northbound23
Tuning in

Hi, 

I have tried reading on the forum, any solutions for these problems I am having with WiFi dropping out constantly. (7 time today alone) from the laptop.

I have been on the phone to virgin today only to be told to get a pod for £8 a month which I am not willing to pay. Previous had a sky broadband at 56mb but no drop outs. Now with virgin 250mb package and not stop issues.

Went for speed but connectivity is an issue. Ethernet connection is fine. But wireless is terrible. Kids complain of no WiFi throughout the evening.

I have followed instructions from another conversation on how to get stats... below are the network logs if anyone can read and help please...

Many thanks in advance... but it has been frustrating to say the least.

Network Log

Time Priority Description
13/11/2023 12:14:44noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/11/2023 12:11:18Warning!LAN login FAILED : Incorrect Username / Password / ConnectionType;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
12/11/2023 05:14:10criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2023 03:40:39noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt060+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2023 03:40:39ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/11/2023 13:26:54criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/11/2023 17:56:35noticeUnit has been restored to factory defaults from a software issued command;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/11/2023 13:29:38criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
07/11/2023 13:39:21noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt060+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
07/11/2023 13:39:21ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
03/11/2023 13:19:12criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
03/11/2023 00:22:9noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt060+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
03/11/2023 00:22:9ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
02/11/2023 06:25:8criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
30/10/2023 12:22:10noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt060+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
30/10/2023 12:22:10ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/10/2023 10:22:34criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/10/2023 01:22:9noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt060+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/10/2023 01:22:9ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
23/10/2023 16:16:49criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If ethernet connections are all fine as they should be then your issue is with the poor wifi in your locations.  So see this...

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App or Apple Airport Utility) to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages.  VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - if you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

As these are not free on your package - as you have discovered, you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you.  Changing to a new Volt package would get them for free - but will start a new 18 month contract!

However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own better wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point, (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

Ask for suggestions/comments on here after deciding your course of action

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If ethernet connections are all fine as they should be then your issue is with the poor wifi in your locations.  So see this...

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App or Apple Airport Utility) to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages.  VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - if you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

As these are not free on your package - as you have discovered, you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you.  Changing to a new Volt package would get them for free - but will start a new 18 month contract!

However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own better wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point, (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

Ask for suggestions/comments on here after deciding your course of action

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Northbound23
Tuning in

Hi John, I will give this a go. Worst case, I would rather look at my own solution. Never had this issue before.. ever. But it is what it is. Will have a go tonight as not using laptop till then and hopefully report back at some point 👍

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I haver never used wifi from VM (or any other ISP) - since 2001 I have always owned my own router and wireless equipment and have had perfect whole home wifi since then 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi @Northbound23 

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

Sorry for the issues with your WiFi. 

How have things been since posting? Did the advise by John help at all?

We have some more tips here on how to get the best out of your wireless connections.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi John, I have had non stop issues with the WiFi but as had a family bereavement so not been online due to that. 

Would you or anyone please be able to provide suggestions on what to get for my own solution... everyone in the household has been complaining including the kids which is not often. Made a mistake moving to virgin I feel.

Client62
Legend

Hub 3 random Wi-Fi dropouts are caused by having Smart Wi-Fi and / or Auto Channels enabled.

Each time the Hub 3 changes channel it stops & restart the Wi-Fi Service thus dropping all the WI-Fi connections.

Avoid the VM Pod, that will compound the problem.

In the Hub 3 menu,
Disable Smart Wi-Fi

Try with the 2.4 GHz band fixed on channel 1 or 6 or 11
Try with the 5GHz band fixed on 36 or 44

With our Hub 3 set like this we stream TV over Wi-Fi all evening with no issues.

Thanks for the advice. 

As per John's advice, I managed to split the 2.4 and 5 last month. 

I have followed what you've advised and switched off smart WiFi.

2.4 shows as channel 6

5 as channel 44... these are both in auto and not manual.

Hope this helps.

Client62
Legend

Just to be super clear, having Auto Channel selection Enabled is the root cause of the problem.

This is what we use ...

Client62_0-1689525728997.png

Switched to manual. Thanks for the heads up.

See what happens. Will provide an update soon.