cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi fi dropping out to my son's shed

jenfamily1
Dialled in

Hello everyone & a happy new year to you all.

I know I've broached this subject before and don't want to bore you with it again I know there may be only a few solutions to solve it. It's not practical for a variety of reasons to have a trench dug outside my back door for an external ethernet cable to be sunk into the ground & run to my son's smart tv housed in a timber shed about 4 metres from our kitchen door. Probably an expert on here has suggested Wi Fi extenders and I believe my son is going to look into this. The advice from a moderator here ( because I'm not on a package where these pods are sent FOC ) is to make sure if he buys one it should be a 'dual bandwidth' and should have more than the speed we get from the router which I'm sure is 250 mbps. What I wanted to ask you is ( speaking with an agent confused me ) our hub / router works on a dual band width ( I'm sure Jappitts & Apollo have told me this ) and regulates automatically which is the stronger signal of the two to send out? Our hub is situated at the foot of the stairwell ( this seemed the most practical place for Virgin to bring in the cable ) on one side of a 9 inch brick wall. Roughly the distance in metres for the signal to travel to my son's TV in the shed is approx 20 metres ( the length of my ethernet cable which was once used when he couldn't get a connection ) either through the wall and directly into a timber shed or along our hallway until the kitchen and out of the back door.I used to think that the signal strength was reduced at times depending on 'congestion' but the agent said this would only slow down the signal. Am I to assume that ( and we in our house don't use any gaming / laptop connectivity but  a little catch up from a V6 box occasionally ) that the reason the signal is intermitant is that from time to time the hub is redirecting the stronger signal somewhere else within the house??? You can tell I'm not tech savvy and wondered if you could explain in simple terms why this might be happening at odd times of the evening? Thank you all.If the wi Fi extender doesn't work then it's back to using the ethernet cable but leaving a window & letterbox open for it to pass through.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have a look at these Wifi Bridges for external use.

Documents for the CPE510KIT-MNT (broadbandbuyer.com)

However, a simple external ethernet cable would be the best option, and the cheapest to boot !

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Outdoor Ethernet cable is by far the best option, it doesn’t have to be buried, but could run along the bottom of a fence. Another option is a point-to-point radio link. This uses a small disk at each end of the link, but it’s far more expensive than a Ethernet cable.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does the electricity supply to the shed run to the same consumer unit/fuse box that the Hub is on?

I ask because my lad is a serious internet gamer (who thinks wifi is the work of Satan and should never be used for gaming), and as Tudor says, Ethernet cabling your devices is always the best way to go, but running cable to his room was problematic. So he uses a pair of Solwise AC1200 powerline adapters. His PC/Xbox/PS3/TV can now all be "wired" - with short Cat6 cables – back to the wireless router downstairs and he gets a solid 60-100 Mbps on our 350 package - he hasn't complained once in years!

Worth considering whether that will work for your shed on your mains circuits, the two circuits must go through the same consumer unit/fuse box (most do) although eleccys often wire extension circuits into a different CU.  Circuits need to be free of any "noise". Y ou can also add a wifi access point alongside to boost that there as well. Or some PA’s have built in wifi too - look at the TP-Link offerings.

See this for some info.....

https://www.techadvisor.com/article/723387/best-powerline-adapters.html

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I don't and wouldn't understand what a 'radio ink' is with discs at either end. Is this similar to a Wi Fi extender/

I've just looked into my understairs cupd where the consumer unit is and the garden power seems to be run from a separate unit with a fuse although all the cabling may go through the house consumer. There is a separate fuse box in his shed too but i'll have to ask an eleccy to have a look and tell me. If the house ring main doesn't run along the same one as the shed power then I assume powerline adapters won't work? By the way what is a 350 package? I don't really know what I'm on any more as the names keep changing! I have 250 download speed, a telephone line, god knows how many channels most of which we don't watch! No film or extra sprts channels.Do you think Virgin's Wi Fi is better than many of these advertised on 'compare the market' there's huge price differences it seems!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A radio link is a wireless point to point link between two dishes, they can work on the same frequencies as WiFi and some can work on the much higher frequency of 60Ghz. You just plug in a Ethernet cable at each end and they then work exactly like a single Ethernet cable between two points. They do not suffer from radio interference although they can be restricted by very heavy rain or snow.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

looks like they are separate CU's - so forget PA's they wont work for you.

350 refers to the VM package - what does it say on your monthly bill ?

An ethernet cable out there is still the best "guaranteed" solution !

However... a Mesh system may sort it for you - see this for reasons why

https://www.techadvisor.com/article/724058/best-mesh-wifi.html

Look at the TP-Link Deco S4, M4, M5  and X range's - one of those should sort it for reasonable casts.... with one of the units positioned as close/in line of sight to the shed.. as is possible.

Or look at external wifi access points - one of these should sould sort it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Waterproof-Installation-Controller-EAP110-Outdoor/dp/B01N4EGN6H/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello Tudor

Thanks for further explanation. Sorry to not fully understand but are the 'dishes' the 'disks'? Does one plug an ethernet cable between the two discs / dishes?  Are there any further ethernet cables which have to connected to the hub? I know you've already said an ethernet cable is the best solution and it too sounds much simpler for my uneducated brain! If this system acts as just one ethernet cable, does it mean one doesn't have to run an ethernet cable from the hub at all? Do you have any product description for these so I can look them on Amazon / Youtube? It might help me to understand better how they work.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have a look at these Wifi Bridges for external use.

Documents for the CPE510KIT-MNT (broadbandbuyer.com)

However, a simple external ethernet cable would be the best option, and the cheapest to boot !

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hub —-Ethernet-cable—-Dish- - - radio signal - - - Dish——-Ethernet-cable———-Device

Dishes are similar to a Sky dish.

Tudor