cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak security issue on IOS 17

RAC24
Joining in

I have an issue with WIFi on my phone I often get a weak security warning. Which says ‘see pic below’. When this happens the Wi-Fi on my phone will not work and I have to turn it off and use my 4G. I am not tech savvy and have no idea what this means. Can anybody give me a step by step answer as to how I can fix this. I end up using a ton of data on my phone 

IMG_5454.jpeg

15 REPLIES 15

carl_pearce
Community elder

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/iOS-14-Weak-Security/m-p/4410050#M3072890

The newer IOS may be even more strict, so the above may not work.

RAC24
Joining in

Sadly my settings are already as you have said and made no difference. If anyone has any other answers it would be great. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What VM Hub model is it?   Do you have it in modem mode with your own router ?  What iPhone models are giving you the issues?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It is a Hub 3.0 , no we don’t use it with our own router, it is as was provided my VM 

Client62
Alessandro Volta

The security warning is caused by having WPA-PSK enabled for the Hub 3 Wi-Fi.

To resolve. via the Hub 3 menu, set Security to WPA2-PSK for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

Client62_1-1689525771758.pngClient62_2-1689525794227.png

carl_pearce
Community elder

The above won't help as the image states WPA2 (AES) which the HUB does not support!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Here is the gospel according to Apple

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

The solution must be in here somewhere... as there must be a million or more VM iPhone users - a lot of whom are still using a Hub3 - and all we are seeing on here are sporadic examples of this issue otherwise this board would be on fire.

So what exactly are the security option choices on a Hub3 that are hiding in that drop-down box

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

An upgrade to the hub 5 would solve the problem as it supports WPA3-SAE (which is more secure that WPA3 Personal).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yeah I get that Roger... but my thinking is that there must be a "security option" (somewhere in the Hub3 settings) that works on the latest iOS... or thousands of users would be complaining on here.

I personally have never even seen a Hub3 (I went SH2 -> Hub5... just last year) so i'm not sure what  security options are on offer in the Hub3 settings 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------