cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volt Gig1 Hub5 WiFi pods

aidy06
On our wavelength

Hi,

I’ve just upgraded to Volt Gig1 from 500mb, I was using my SH3 in modem mode along with 3 x Deco M9 Plus as we live in a 3-storey house and the signal wouldn’t reach all over property.

The Deco M9 Plus is WiFi5 and can’t deliver gigabit speeds so I’ve removed those from my setup but now the coverage over the house isn’t good and our Sky multiroom keeps disconnecting in the two rooms we have it, also gaming systems keep lagging etc.

I’ve looked at the Wi-Fi pods that VM offer, and this looks like it could help with my setup and would like to try them, but it seems impossible to order them, I’ve read a few threads on here where people have had the same issues. Has anybody had any luck ordering them, especially more than one? And also, do they work and fix the issues or would I better off looking at a third party WiFi6 router and continuing down the path of keeping the hub in modem mode.

Thanks in advance for any help. 

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As the Pods are free to you, give them a go.  If they don't perform then buy your own access points. Personally I would use modem mode and buy my own Wifi kit.  At least everything would be under your control.

To get the Pods the official route is to use the VM Connect App and scan your property. When completed, the app should allow you to order the first Pod. If this is not working, just wait here a day or two for a VM Mod to pick this up and discuss directly with you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

aidy06
On our wavelength

Thank you for your reply.

I can’t seem to get the option of ordering a pod on the connected app, from reading other threads on here it seems that this can be a nightmare to actually get them from VM for some reason.

I’ll have a look at other options in the meantime, do you have any recommendations at all? It’s a shame the Deco M9 Plus isn’t WiFi6 compatible as it’s been great the past few years I’ve had it. Will possibly look into Deco again.

Thanks. 

Client62
Legend

I suggest reinstate the 3 x Deco M9 Plus & restore good Wi-Fi coverage ASAP.

Domestic mobile devices either can not, or do not need to receive data at 1GB/s to work perfectly well.

Good Wi-Fi coverage easily beats outright speed every time.

Hi there @aidy06 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you back. 

We would be more than happy to assist with ordering and looking at the Pod's with you, to clarify, have you been able to run checks on your set up at home using the Connect App at all?

If you were to order the Pods then the Hub would need to be in router mode in order to communicate with the Pod.

aidy06
On our wavelength

Hi Ashleigh,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

No, I’ve still not been able to order pods. And yes, I’m aware the hub would need to be in router mode which is fine. I’ve currently put it back in modem mode with my deco M9’s but still having issues since upgrading to Gig1 that I didn’t have when on 500mb.

Thanks. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

With the VM pods you are guaranteed a download speed of just 30Mbps, although you might get more.  I'll bet you are getting more than that with your present Deco system.

So why change? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi @aidy06,

Would you mind clarifying exactly what trouble you're having ordering Pods via the Connect App?

It'll only provide the option to you if it detects that there's an issue that may be alleviated with the Pod being in place. Are you seeing that? What's the outcome when you complete the scan in the impacted area(s) of the property?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!