cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volt 250 speeds

MysticDonut
Settling in

ecently upgraded to a volt M250 from a M125, however, on powerline im still getting the same download speeds (10 Mbps) The powerline is plugged into the wall. any ideas what the issue might be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From the TP-Link specs - 

• 1 Port per unit, 100Mbps  

You need to upgrade to 1000Mbps (1Gb ) ports, or put in a proper wired solution not using the mains supply.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

MysticDonut
Settling in

I recently upgraded to a volt M250 from a M125, however, on powerline im still getting the same download speeds (10 Mbps) The powerline is plugged into the wall. any ideas what the issue might be?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If your Hub has been upgraded to M250 (Check the conf settings on the Hub. It will show what speed has been provisioned.It's Configuration tab - Primary Downstream Service Flow - Max Traffic Rate.) and there is no improvement, it is most likely the powerlines will not run any faster.  If these are the old VM powerline adapters, they are no longer supported and have been replaced by the new Wifi Pods.

Most powerlines do not give anywhere near the speeds quoted.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What make and model are the powerlines?  What grade of ethernet cable are you using ?

Speeds will always be attenuated.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See your other post here - Volt 250 speeds - Virgin Media Community - 5532874

It is the 

• TP-Link TL-PA4010PKIT powerline adapter, using cat5e ethernet cables

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From the TP-Link specs - 

• 1 Port per unit, 100Mbps  

You need to upgrade to 1000Mbps (1Gb ) ports, or put in a proper wired solution not using the mains supply.

So upgrading my powerline adapter should fix the issue? I forgot to mention, there is 1 adapter in the router, and 2 in seperate rooms which connect to the one in the router

Your powerline speeds will also be affected by they way your electrical system is set up in your home.

You will get the highest speeds from powerline if the sender and receiver device are plugged into the same circuit and the same consumer unit/fusebox. Different circuits (say across floors of the house) can significantly drop speeds.

On a ring main circuit you will get a drop in speed if the socket you are using is a spur from the ring.

Also the speed can be affected significantly if either the sender or receiver is plugged into an extension cable or extension/slitter (e.g. 4-way power splitter block). The sender and receiver should be plugged directly into a wall socket.

I have used powerline in the past (with a nominal max 500 Mbps speed) and the very best I got from that with 90 Mbps under optimum conditions.

If you want to test your powerlines and network cables, see if you can rig up a test arrangement where you plug in the powerlines side by side into a double socket and see what speeds you get that way. If you still get 10 Mbps then you may well have a powerline/cable problem. If you get a greater speed it may be the electrical wiring which is causing your speed drop.

I eventually wired up some permanent network cables to get full speeds everywhere in my home.

Client62
Legend

Restart the VM Hub to enable it to collect the latest speed profile.

The link below speed tests the VM Hub + your devices.
https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

10 Mb/s is curiously low for a TL-PA4010, is there some some kind of mains power filters or a UPS involved ?

Our TL-PA4010 units (with the AV600 firmware) deliver 50 to 65 Mb/s plenty for TV streaming and for a printer.

Use the TP-LINK Utility to see the interconnection speed of the Powerline units, expect actual throughput to be about one third to one half of the link rate.   Download from ... https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/tl-pa4010-kit/