cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed record and idly curious why

chimneypool
Tuning in

chimneypool_1-1706087215836.png

at midnight on 20 January I journeyed to the future (ha ha) and my speedtest nearly broke 2 GBits 🙂

I gotta know - how did i get this speed score. Nearly two gigabits 🙂 Statistical anomaly? Dodgy code?

https://github.com/ansemjo/speedtest-plotter

In Edinburgh if that matters; speedtest is just to check things are OK (a while back i got stuck on a 100 mbits so this just lets me know if everything is OK).

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM recommend (and use) Samknows for speedtests, I prefer speedtest.

see

https://speedtest.samknows.com/

https://www.speedtest.net/

Try them on 2 different browsers - as Chrome sometimes gives odd results.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @chimneypool 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

Have you tried following the advice provided by @jbrennand? If so, are the results more in line with what you'd expect?

Please pop back to us at your earliest convenience.

Regards,
Daniel

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Are you on the new XGS-PON service (Hub 5x) by any chance? I think VM is itching to launch a 2 Gbps service on it soon. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Hi jbrennand,

All other speedtests (and the two you mentioned) work and accurately report my speed and its in line with what i pay for (500 MBits).

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me why i jumped so high (nearly hit 2 Gbits!!). I record my speed every hour (I once paid for 300 MBits for a year and used a router with only 100Base-T so lost 200 MBits! and now record my speed to make sure i'm not doing anything stupid...) and I've not had it jump like this ever. I think the speedtest has to get that much data from a remote host so I think it was a real thing.

Just wondered if any network engineers in Virgin could satisfy my idle curiosity.

Virgin Media's service is impeccable - fast, reliable, no problems (touch wood). Honestly its all great.

If you read my post you would see from the graph i am very satisfied. Can you ask one of your network engineers to tell me how i managed to get nearly 4X my paid for speed? I normally get 500 MBits but nearly got 2 GBits at midnight! Thats 2000 MBits 🙂 Just idly curious. If you can't, its all good, please spend all your time keeping my service reliable, no complaints here.

I am not sadly. I am only on a Hub3. Which amazed me as i didn't think they could do 2x Gigabit speeds...

My guess is that its probably an error as the speedtest needs to receive that much data from a remote host? And i can't see how i could possibly do that without the hub letting me.I dunno - all a big mystery. But its nice to know I might (probably not) hit 2 GBits :)))))))))) No idea what i would do with 2 GBits but its hella cool.

I think the two speedtests were with ultranetworks or a Lancashire council. I can't easily parse the speedtest.db right now.

HUGH_EFFO
Up to speed

also depends on what site your using to test.  If I use "Broadband speed checker" it tells me im getting over 2 Gig upload speed.

I use speedtest cli to do testing as its a command line program, so is not browser dependant.

HUGH_EFFO_0-1706805358840.png

I am not a white Hat Hacker, nor a Black Hat Hacker, more 50 shades of Grey

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

A Hub 3 cannot possibly pass that speed, so it's simply a false reading. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

asim18
Fibre optic

My theory is that the data was buffered for a few seconds somewhere along the line, the 2Gbps was a data burst from the buffer, not from the internet. It's showing 2Gb because the reading was not averaged over time.