cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid orange light and flashing red telephone light on hub 3

bw2020
Joining in

My hub 3 has a solid orange light at the bottom and flashing red telephone light. Virgin diagnostics tell me there's a problem with the hub (!) but they tried to reset it remotely and failed, manual reset via the button failed as did just turning it off and having a cup of tea.

Previous analysis by Virgin said a problem and call an engineer (have you tried). Broadband speed seems there as does the telephone light, so suspect the hub's shot.

Any help or ideas welcome

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Apart from an orange light (that's normal!) and flashing telephone light... what actual issues are you experiencing on your connections?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Apart from an orange light (that's normal!) and flashing telephone light... what actual issues are you experiencing on your connections?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John

Actually the broadband speeds are what they should be but what I read is that if the light at the bottom of the hub is orange or red, then there is either a tech problem or the hub is overheating. The red flashing telephone light only started once Virgin said the hub need to be factory reset and they tried it remotely (20 min one) and after 2 mins, said they couldn't do it but to press the reset button for 15 secs min (did 20 secs) and that did nothing. 

During the reset, get a few flashing green ones.

When the hub was new, the orange light was white.

I dont pretend to know much about the tech side but this has only been orange for the last 6 weeks

Thanks fr coming back

Bob

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The orange LED on a Hub3 is a common "feature" of all ageing units.  Probably due to fading/failing in the 1p LED just ignore it.  My daughter just joined VM last week and she was issued with a refurbished Hub3 (there havent been any new ones for years) and yes - you guessed it - the light was already orange - here is the pic she sent me to ask the same question...

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-21 at 13.21.18.jpeg

If it goes bright red then it does need attention.  Its either an overheating hub - or one where that detection system is now compromised.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thank you for that John, most helpful to us "non techies". I shall just ignore it until it goes red;

Regards

Bob

bw2020
Joining in

Hi

Like all the other posters above, I have now a solid red light on my hub 3 and its quite hot to the touch. I have had a solid orange light but its now definitely solid RED.

I have tried the pinhole reset and the turning it on and off reset, all to no avail. Virgin tried to reset it remotely, this also failed after 2 minutes.

Need some help and quickly from Virgin guys here please, none of us can live without our internet.

Thanks

bw2020

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@abroves wrote:

Why is there an orange light on my Virgin Media Hub3?

It was white when new - but because yours is now a 5-10 year old gizmo which was originally built using a 1p LED it is now losing its will to shine,,,  All LED's fade over time - its a well documented phenomenon

--------------------
John
--------------------

bw2020
Joining in

Hello All

Thanks for your interest.

This got picked up by the Virgin Moderators when orange turned more red. In short, they got an engineer here within a couple of day and on time, who looked at it and pronounced it faulty and changed it for a hub 5. He set it up and we checked the coverage which was better.

Smiles all round

Regards

Bob

Hi

The mans right, clapped out LED but with mine the hub worked well. Orange turned to red, Virgin got involved through this forum, engineer came and changed hub.

Bob

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes... if it fails to red it has to be changed as the system for detecting overheating is compromised - so has to be rectified for "safety" reasons.

Chances are though is that they will simply send out a refurbished Hub3 - but on the other hand  - when you get a Tech visit, they are more likely to just swap it out for a Hub4 or 5 as that's probably what their van is stocked with 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------