7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

by wireless?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yes by wireless,but same speed by cable cat7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The most you will get over ethernet to one device is 940Mbps.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

So why is jumping between 550+

Why is not stable like 800-850mbps all the time?

Can some routers replace this hub 5?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Forgetting WiFi which will always be variable, 

You can check if there are local issues affecting you, phone 0800 561 0061.

If you want help diagnosing a possible problem, point your browser at the Hub, copy and paste here the upstream, downstream and log data. As text, not screenshots. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Your line is shared others in the area can be downloading causing the average to drop for faster upto speed only when many stop downloading does the average go up for your upto speed to run high

run by wire this and check download latency

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

---------------------------------------------------------------

grumpywurzel
Dialled in

I guess it depends really on if you are connected to the router in wireless or wired and the age/type of device in use..

For example, if I'm virtually sat ontop of the VM box, with a reasonably modern mobile device (Pixel 6 phone for this test) I'll be v lucky to get around 800-900mbps. Move to my office/spare room (with 2 pods to boost signal in the house) and it drops to ~550mbps. Same setup but using wired (direct to router and later to a pod in the office), I get the full 1gig download speed and in the office I'll get ~680 ish.

Slightly older wireless tech, such as my Samsung Tab 7, sees a drop of around 50-100mbps at exactly the same position.

I'm probably wrong but when ISP's advertise the speeds, it's the total combined across all devices and an "up to" value, somewhere in the blurb they will state a guaranteed minimum speed.

To be honest, there's probably nothing you can do to get the full 1 gig on a single device, also factor in times of day as well, as that has a big impact on your download speed.