cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security on Home network when using Hub 3.0

XEyedBear
On our wavelength

I recently read a quote on a forum which said (summarsied) that if my home network runs from an ISP provided router in which no 'demilitarised' zone has been defined or port forwarding is not enabled, then no firewall is necessary on the PCs with a wired connection to the home network. Is this claim correct - even for Windows PCs (which complain continually when I disable any of the 3 firewalls in Win 10)?

Is there an exception to the security provided by Hub 3.0 which would make it advisable to have a firewall running on each PC?

Are wifi connected PCs protected to the same extent?

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Windows firewall is fine will not cause a problem

---------------------------------------------------------------

XEyedBear
On our wavelength

I don't understand this reply i9n the context of my request. Are you saying that disabling Windows Firewall will not cause a security issue, or that enabling the Firewall will not cause any problem (which it explicitly does, because certain applications will not run with the firewall enable even when an 'allow' firewall rule has been set for them)?

It is rare that windows firewall is a problem so whats the app your having problem with?

by default windows allows all outbound and you firewall inbound 

XEyedBear
On our wavelength

Warpinator version 0.4.1.0, from GitHub. It cannot see Warpinator running on my Linux PCs. My Linux PCs cannot see Windows Warpinator but are able to perform bidirectional transfers between themselves, even with ufw enabled.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Nice APP

So as well as allow the APP in inbound you also have to make a rule for all programs inbound with UDP remote and local port 5353