cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router, no signal upstairs

stiv1
On our wavelength

It is quickly using up my mobile data upstairs as virgin router signal is not available. 

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What VM Hub model is it?  What package are you on? Is "upstairs"... up many stairs into rooms with poor wifi connectivity?  What is it like when close to the Hub?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @stiv1 Thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the signal strength from your VM services.
May I ask what hub it is you have? Have you tried a reboot of the hub or a pin hole reset?

Have you checked here for any outages in the area? 
Let us know and we can go on from there.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

stiv1
On our wavelength

Engineer recently here for other matters and confirmed that upstairs signal was very poor. i m sure we paid for an upgraded box a while ago to sort this, the writing on the modem is arris, cant see much more. friends and family have sky and they say theirs is brilliant

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The base sticker should say Superhub2, Hub3, Hub4, Hub5 or Hub5x - post a photo if you arent sure but black out any passwords, MAC/IP  addresses etc.

Are ethernet cablke connected devices stable with good signals meaning it is likely just a wifi issue?

If so, see this

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - if you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point(s), (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello stiv1.

Thanks for popping back on here. Sorry though to hear about the WIFI coverage upstairs.

Just checking to see if you have read the excellent advice above from @jbrennand 

I can look at the pods being added to your account if you like. 

If you are not on the Volt bundle it will be an extra £8 a month

Look forward to your reply.

Gareth_L

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Just get a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------