cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Relocation

4M0rt
Tuning in

Afternoon,

My router is currently located adjacent to my TV (downstairs in the corner of the living room). It’s been there since first install around 12 years ago and at the time was considered the best place. Now that our Wi-Fi needs have evolved throughout the house including upstairs (consoles/fire sticks ets) I don’t think that this location is the most optimum as a couple of rooms upstairs struggle with signal.

I would like some advice on whether moving the router to a more central location would be best or introducing Wi-Fi pods throughout or both, and in turn how best to get this organised and undertaken.

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Moving Hub may help but its hit and miss.   For improving wifi - Pods are worth a go if they are free on your package - 1GB or a Volt package.  Lots of posts on here telling you how to get the first one.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you, however, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point(s), (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

Do a bit of searching on those options and then ask back here for recommendations.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Moving Hub may help but its hit and miss.   For improving wifi - Pods are worth a go if they are free on your package - 1GB or a Volt package.  Lots of posts on here telling you how to get the first one.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you, however, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point(s), (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

Do a bit of searching on those options and then ask back here for recommendations.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi 4M0rt, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

This is certainly something we can help with. If you would like to move your hub then there would be a £25 call out charge for this. 

In terms of trying WiFi pods instead, we can look at adding your first pod after running through some diagnostics. Let us know which route you would prefer to go down and we can take it from there. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

Thanks for this.

I’m currently on the M500 package so I don’t think I would be eligible for the pods as part of this package.

I have looked into the options you listed and both the mesh system and the power line adaptors both seem like good solutions, just not sure which route to go down. Which is best? Which system would you recommend and how many pods/adaptors would be required? 

TIA.

Hi u can try adding a extender from amazon and see if that helps but still the wifi can be up and down but can be better just all depends on ur set up and the house walls and stuff

what is ur current set up and what do u want to achive with not to much expencive cost

Morning Kath,

If I’m honest I’m loathe to pay out any extra. I’ve just upgraded to the M500 which is marketed as being able to game and steam on numerous devices at once but we still struggle with getting more than one tv to stream upstairs and regularly have to use our mobile hotspot. I acknowledge that the position of the router will have an impact on this but this can also be the case downstairs if there are a few people on the router. 
I like the idea of a mesh system but again wouldn’t want to be paying extra per month to get this installed.

Many thanks.

Thanks for coming back to us 4M0rt and I'm sorry that you're having issues after the upgrade, I have looked into this and cannot see any issues with the connection, so it maybe your hub. I'd like to look further but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Hello,

I'd like to relocate my router too, how can I book a technician please?

Many thanks

Hi ok u can do this via here but can take a few days or u can try whatsapp messageing  or calling vm

Hi @Bearanto 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community Forums. Apologies the delay in responding, are you still wishing to book a relocation? To do this we would need to bring you in for a private message.

Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina