cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROUTER REMOTE ACCSES

waveguide
Just joined

Hi, I want to use  my Hub3 remote access to control equipment I have at home on my home network, Using the remote access  facility I believe can cause some vunerabilities  for hackers. I have set up port forwarding and I can control my equipment within my home wifi. For access away from home I need to enable remote access and my question is is there a way of protecting the router from hackers in this mode . 

regards JB

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Port forwarding and remote access to an hub are two totally  different things. Port forwarding is used when you are away from home to get access to devices on your LAN. Say you want to get access to a web server on a device on your LAN. You could set up port forwarding for port 8888 to port 80 on the devices IP. Then externally you would do in a browser <WAN_IP_address>:8888 and it would go to your server on the LAN. Remote access to the hub just gets you to the hubs web server, but I think on the lastest releases of the hub’s firmware this is disabled.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Our Hub 3 does not permit Remote menu access to be enabled, the menu page exists with options greyed out.
The Hub 3 also does not permit creation of a Port Forward to 192.168.0.1

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Get a real router with VPN and use hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------