cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qam wrong?

Viper-t
Fibre optic

Hi can someone tell me if my qam is wrong please?. My upload qam is always 64 as is everyone's I have 1 channel 32qam and 2 at 16qam I think 64 symbols is more data than 16 no? 

Upstream channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

14310000041.35120 KSym/sec32QAM2
23010000040.85120 KSym/sec16QAM4
336600000415120 KSym/sec16QAM3
44960000041.55120 KSym/sec64QAM1
523600000405120 KSym/sec64QAM5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Channel Channel Width (MHz) Power (dBmV) FFT Type Modulation

610.838.82KQAM8

The channel width doesn't seem right to me.  As in not being centred in the upstream spectrum.  10MHz would be centred.

Indeed, if you look in the forum for threads about DOCSIS 3.1 upstream issues, nearly all of them are not centred on 10MHz.

I can't be sure that 10.8 and 10.4 (which I also see in the problem threads) are not within tolerance as I'm still learning D3.1, but the Cablelabs spec does not mention any off-centre tolerance that I could find.

I wonder what the Forum Team will make of what I've suggested and if I'm wrong, I apologise for work others may have to do!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

353 REPLIES 353

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, they should all be 64 QAM.

Check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 If you have a VM landline 150 this goes down to post code level. You could also try the web page status, but this is not recommended.

VM will not dispatch any technicians while an area fault exists.

If no faults found:

Call Customer Services on 0345 454 1111/150 if you have a VM landline or wait two or three days for a VM staff member to get to your post.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi tudor thanks I thought so, this keeps happening I just done some checks and sure enough my upload speeds are low and my jitter is 5/6 times higher than normal. This is the whole problem with people virgin advertises as great gaming package in reality high jitter ping and low upload is the worst thing for gaming my family are so disappointed with virgins services of late This happens way to much I just won a big case with cisas and they haven't learnt anything maybe I should of reported to lutz sculler as well to get my service working for more than a few weeks... here we go again. Thanks for confirming tutor appreciated your swift responce all the best 

Regards 

There are no area faults as expected, there never are when this happens

Regards 

Hi Viper-t, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with your hub and s a result, your speeds. 

Checking things this end, I can see your downstream power levels are too high. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Viper-t,

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available engineer appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit after 24 hours have passed, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
  • The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment, you can do this online or via the My VM app by 4pm the day before the appointment. If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

We will continue to monitor your services and if we can see that the fault has cleared and the visit is no longer required we will cancel the appointment and let you know by text and email. 

In terms of the other questions you asked in your message, this is unrelated to any CISAS case you may have ongoing. We would be unable to get involved in that or speak to you about this. In terms of a previous engineer lying to you, as I weren't there I cannot comment on what may or may not have been said I'm afraid. All I can do is go off the checks I have run.

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi it wasn't the the engineer who lied on that occasion that was a different time hence the successful cisas case, I mean the staff on here said my levels were fine when I showed them it was out of spec but they just shrugged it off months ago. My downstream levels have been to high for months but now my upstream qam on all but 2 channels are to low 16 qam is effecting my line very noticeably. As for paying for an engineer I'm afraid is never going to happen. My setup was fine for years till I got the volt package and worked no problem with all my same devices, same as many people in the forum, none of my own equipment would change your devices power levels at all, if that was the case why would virgin let anyone use there own routers or devices playstations av receivers etc. I was told my levels are wrong an I would need an engineer I never asked for one. Also as I asked why have I got an extra upload channel please? Why is this I now have 5 instead of 4 and a docsis 3.1 which is not needed as we customers only get 50 upload on a gig package, 3.1 is for high speed unless I'm mistaken. Thank you kath for your swift responce you have been more than cordial with me.

@Viper-t wrote:

Hi it wasn't the the engineer who lied on that occasion that was a different time hence the successful cisas case, I mean the staff on here said my levels were fine when I showed them it was out of spec but they just shrugged it off months ago. My downstream levels have been to high for months but now my upstream qam on all but 2 channels are to low 16 qam is effecting my line very noticeably. [SEPH]:  I've no idea why the VM bod didn't mention your upstream.  I suppose they're taking literally the fact that the network is behaving "normally" because if noise on the upstream affects what the VM end receives, the VM end lowers the QAM level until data is properly received, albeit at a lower rate than optimum.  Noise on the line is something they should investigate and the DS has nothing to so with your problem.

As for paying for an engineer I'm afraid is never going to happen. My setup was fine for years till I got the volt package and worked no problem with all my same devices, same as many people in the forum, none of my own equipment would change your devices power levels at all, if that was the case why would virgin let anyone use there own routers or devices playstations av receivers etc. I was told my levels are wrong an I would need an engineer I never asked for one. Also as I asked why have I got an extra upload channel please? Why is this I now have 5 instead of 4 and a docsis 3.1 which is not needed as we customers only get 50 upload on a gig package, 3.1 is for high speed unless I'm mistaken[SEPH]:  DOCSIS 3.1 has greater noise tolerance than DOCIS 3.0 which allows higher QAM and thus higher speeds.  At the moment, VM is finding its feet with D3.1.  Anyway, the more upstream channels you have, the less contention there will be in your locality for the upstream (if the population remains the same).

Thank you kath for your swift responce you have been more than cordial with me.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Hi seph thank you for your knowledge on these matters, if its due to noise on my line, 2/3 months ago an engineer found while here lots of noise on my line and found the cause was a cable installed in my home it was all bent and twisted in a lot of places when it was previously installed, he left me 10 meters of wire to install through the homes trunking and replace which I was going to do until I had some problems with a minority number of staff who thought my situation (something else) was not important so I had and won my cisas case, as a result I'm not installing any wire as I do not work as an engineer for vm nor should I be asked to install it as I don't get paid for such tasks. Maybe if I wasnt treated so badly I was going to, I just want a working internet with no problems but I'm still getting problems unfortunately I just feel bad for my family as they been putting up with it for a very long time now.

Kind Regards 

Hi so update engineer been my qam was back to 64 as there was a coinsedental 2am reboot morning before he arrived but this has not sorted it as now he has left my qam are back to wrong only 1 channel is 64 now. We installed the wire run what was left for me months ago that got rid of the noise. Now this engineer was baffled why virgin said I needed an engineer as the qam is back at head office he rang a guy who said they been doing work in the area nothing is online but here we are qam is back at wrong numbers so my upload is jacked very noticeably effecting my family's gaming time so I hope I'll be refunded till its fixed as its not fit for purpose I thought after I just won a cisas case it would be sorted but no, I've been at this for months causing me an my family great stress I might have to take this higher to lutz sculler this time as I think I've been More than patient in this over utilised mess.

14310000041.55120 KSym/sec32QAM2
230100000415120 KSym/sec16QAM4
33660000041.35120 KSym/sec16QAM3
44960000041.85120 KSym/sec64QAM1
52360000040.55120 KSym/sec32QAM5