cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem reporting spam to Spamcop.net

aderussell
Dialled in

Since the long outage I now seem to get emails but I have encountered anothe problem.

I report spam to spamcop.net, but now when I report it tells me this:

Mailhost configuration problem, identified internal IP as source

Mailhost:
Please correct this situation - register every email address where you receive spam

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

When I try to re-register  the email address (because it worked ok before) as it suggestsI get this: 

Host dcbe62-prd-nl1-vmo.nl1.unified.services (checking ip) IP not found ; dcbe62-prd-nl1-vmo.nl1.unified.services discarded as fake.
Sorry, SpamCop has encountered errors:

The email sample you submitted for xxxxxx@blueyonder.co.uk
appears to traverse more than one domain.  
Please ensure that you configure each mailhost individually and in order.

I presume this is due to the changes made by Virgin as it all worked firne before

Can somebody from Virgin (who hopefully understands how the configuration is set up) tell me if this is permenant?

I presume it is not 'normal practice' and is something to do with the 'fix'

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

Client62
Legend

The error is correct dcbe62-prd-nl1-vmo.nl1.unified.services does not have a DNS entry it is a fake host name.

Check this out at : https://www.nslookup.io/    

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @aderussell .

Thanks for reaching out to us. As you are aware we are still in the mist of fixing the most recent outage with customers emails. Can I ask, how are you trying to access your emails, via webclient on Virgin Media website or third party email client?

Please let us know. 

Sabrina

Hi, Thanks for the response.

I am using Thunderbird on my laptop.

I use CNTRL U to show the complete message (with headers) then cut and paste this into the reporting page of SPAMCOP.NET

It should then comes up with a report  to send to the ISP it actually comes from

I have been using this method for many many years , but since whatever change has been applied to Viirgin it reports as shown in my original post. This is every time I attempt to report spam.

Hi @aderussell 👋.

Ah ok, I see, have you found the manual settings for applying accounts to Thunderbird? 
These are the settings should you wish to use them 👉 Email settings.

Should the issue persist then it would be related to the outage and would advise until the outage is resolved to hold off with gaining access to any emails.

Sabrina

Thinderbird is configured ok as I can send and receive emails

I have had an email telling me the problem has been fixed for my emails on virgin

I have just tried to report spam to spamcop.net and still get the same message back from spamcop

So what is  Host dcbe62-prd-nl1-vmo.nl1.unified.services  ?-   This only crops up since the outage problem

Thanks for confirming this @aderussell 

Do you get the same error when using another client at all such as gmail or outlook?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

I also use Outlook 2010 on my desktop PC and get the same error

If I report spam received via a gmail account I do not have a problem

It really seems to be just virgin emails

I have worked in IT for over 20 years, but emails is not something I have ever got involved in (or understood)

As it seems to be something to do with Host dcbe62-prd-nl1-vmo.nl1.unified.service, can you tell me if this is something specific to the Virgin mail configuration ,and if it is something that has been added as part of the recent fix?

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

In complete honesty with you - it's not something I hold the answers to, so I couldn't say for certain. What I can do though is ask the relevant teams and get back to you on this - I appreciate it's not the ideal answer at the moment but it's the best I can give currently. 

Just to check also - I can see you mention it's every time you try and report spam, has this happened on just the one above or has there been multiple? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

It is on all. I have even tried parsing a NON  spam mail through spamcop (in case it was something common to all the spam I got). The mail thaat was not spam gave the same error from spamcop.

So it is all mail via virgin. Not specifically spam, any mail.