Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss, high ping, poor connectivity

Mockingbird_DX
Joining in

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.]

Hub 3.0

Issues are intermittent, started a few days ago. Intermittent - at times feels like everything is fine, at times I literally have no connection as total loss is over 90%.

Poor connectivity, high packet loss over wifi on the modem. Connecting over cable gets rid of modem packet loss but there is also loss between the modem and other virgin media (see mtr screens - one made over wifi about 1.5m away from the hub, the second one was made with a cable connection) - also cable connection is not a viable solution here for me.

In day-to-day this means some http web pages take anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds to load, video calls are horrible quality, online gaming is impossible.

Ran a connection check with virgin media check services - it told me to hard-reset the modem. Didn't make a difference.

See also attached some PING results made from the hub itself to google.com and google dns @ 8.8.8.8

As far as I understand there are two issues:
1. Packet loss over wifi to modem
2. Packet loss in the virgin network in the area

Tried starting chat with support, chat is't working (lol)

Wifi connectionWifi connectionCable connectionCable connection

mtr wifi to googlecommtr wifi to googlecom

hub ping to 8.8.8.8hub ping to 8.8.8.8

10 REPLIES 10

Mockingbird_DX
Joining in

Hi Carley, sorry for not answering, I was "lying in wait" so to speak, but things are really looking much better.

Just as sudden as the issues started just over 2 weeks ago - they have ended last Thursday (coincidentally after your reply above and you reaching out in private messages).

For the last 5 days I've had zero issues: my pings to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 are down from 800ms to 20ms with zero packet losses, my real webpage loading time is down from 1-2 minutes to 2-3 seconds, my videocalls and my game streams are in top condition.

I suspect there was an issue your engineers fixed and you can't admit it (no fault of you specifically, it's typical corporate **bleep**). Let them know I'm grateful.

Only thing I regret is that I bought an expensive wifi router thinking it was a wifi issue. Probably will return it.