cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On-going Complaint - IP different location

Lette
Tuning in

Early February, I noticed after trying to log into a few online accounts and TV services was showing an incorrect location.  After wasting my time, spending all day, speaking to Virgin Media customer services & technical support I was unable to get the problem fixed, reason being, most of the people I had spoken too had no clue of what I was talking about, half of them did not even know what a WAN was. The very last person I spoke too, did understand what I was talking about but was unable to fix the problem and told me the only way to get the issue fixed was to make a complaint, so below is what I first wrote, through the complaints system.

I noticed that our WAN IP had changed to Edinburgh, which is 400 miles from our location. I logged into the HUB 5 and checked the Default gateway and it was 92.238.80.1 which is Scotland.  I call customer service and ended up speaking all day to about 11 people in different departments most did not have a clue of what I was talking about, others tried to tell me the issue was mine, not VM. I have had computers over 30 years and cable broadband over 20 years, so I know what I'm talking about. This is affecting my TV and many other online accounts because of the current WAN IP assigned. I was told by the last person I spoke to that the only way to get this fixed is to make a complaint, when really all I need to do is speak to someone in the UK network team tech department, which you cannot do. This must be a one off because I couldn't find anyone who has had this problem before and I have searched online for hours. Please can you pass this problem onto the network team, so that they can change my Default gateway in the HUB 5 back to a local one, so I can obtain a local WAN IP or provide me with a telephone number to call the UK Networking team.

I received a reply from Virgin Media Complaints, see below the two important paragraphs from Virgin Media Com : 

We have thoroughly investigated your complaint and confirmed that your concerns are legitimate. We identified an error in our network configuration that resulted in your WAN IP being assigned to Edinburgh instead of your local area. Rest assured, we can take immediate action to rectify this issue. Your HUB 5's default gateway is supposed to be reconfigured to a local one, ensuring you receive a localized WAN IP address aligned with your geographical location. This change should resolve the issues you were experiencing with your TV and other online accounts, so to make any technical changes we suggest you call us or even chat with us.

We have implemented additional measures to prevent similar occurrences in the future. We acknowledge your extensive experience with computers and cable broadband and apologize for any suggestion that the issue originated from your end. We value your expertise and appreciate you bringing this matter forward. We understand your frustration with reaching the appropriate support team. We are continuously working to improve our customer service structure and ensure efficient resolution of inquiries.

Well the problem was not resolved, as they stated, I reset the HUB 5 back to factory default and switched off for 10 minutes, but still it had the default gateway for Scotland.  So of course I wrote back to them again, this is my response to them, below : 

Dear Virgin Media Team,

With reference to my email below and your reply, I am very disappointed that this issue have not been resolved by yourselves and that the problem still remains with my WAN IP location.

You replied to my email below and mentioned that you acknowledge the problem is legit (highlighted below for your ref below) and that you identified the error was in your configurations and that you (can take immediate action to rectify this issue) .  This issue is still not fixed.  I have reset the HUB back to default, turned it off for about 5 minutes and it is still saying location Edinburgh, Scotland.  So the default gateway have not been changed.  Is this issue just isolated to me or is it for the whole of Devon?

In my original complaint below, I asked you to provide me with a contact number for the Virgin Media UK Networking Team, however, you only provided the usual customer service number in your reply.  I called this number and spoke to them, asking them to put me through to complaints, which they did, but this was in a foreign call centre who had no idea of what the technical issue was or how to help and was totally unhelpful and a waste of my time, again.

My complaint have not been resolved and the fact that you stated that it was fixed immediately is untrue, as the issue remains for me.

I received the following response from Virgin Media complaints, as follows : 

We have a little update on your complaint with us. We didn’t want to delay things, so we’ve gone ahead and looked into a resolution for you.

Here’s a quick recap

We’ve looked into it and here’s what we found:
We are writing to let you know that we have received your complaint regarding the recent problems you have been experiencing. We are sorry that you are not happy with the service you have received from us. You can be confident that we will do everything we can to ensure that it is put right. It is a pleasure to assist a loyal customer of your stature. I understand that your concern was in regards to the fault you have been experiencing while using our services and its impact on your day to day activities. I do understand your apprehension on this and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I have checked your account and there are no area faults or issues with your account at the moment. I would be more than happy to assist you with the same, but unfortunately, I would not be able to do that over the email. Therefore, I would request you to get in touch with our Technical team, who would be able to go ahead and help you with the same. Kindly give us a call to the given number so that we can do the needful and assist you better. Also, we are working on our interfaces to make it customer friendly.

Well, I don't know what all that waffle was about, it certainly wasn't anything to do with my WAN IP being fixed and this why Virgin Media needs to sort out their Customer Services issues.  It is obvious that these call centres abroad that Virgin use are simply following a scripts and they cannot fix the problem from there, as they are limited to only being able to reboot the HUB.  I am seriously frustrated with the back and forth, and the issue not getting to the right people.

The last couple of years now Virgin Media have really gone downhill, their customer services is total sham, which is a shame.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

42 REPLIES 42

Static or dynamic does not matter and its not what I'm complaining about..

I have had an internet connection in every home I have owned since the early 1990's and have always checked and known my Wan IP, I can guarantee you for the last 20 years its always been withing 20-30 miles of my location.  It wasn't that important 10 years ago or more but now it is.. 

Don't know what you come on this post for Alessandro, nothing you say is helpful.

Client62
Legend

Three pages of exchanges and still totally avoids mentioning why the "guess" at location of the IP matters.

Quite surreal

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

My WAN IP currently says I'm 200km from my home. One advantage of using a VPN. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

There was a mysterious mention of the following:

"If anyone does not understand why that would matter then they need to try watching a tv service that uses IP location to watch local news". 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

@Lette wrote:

Hi Garath,

Yes, the location change has had a negative effect on my TV / Apps and some websites, it's not that they don't work, but because the IP location is 400 miles away from me they don't give the correct results. Some Apps say that the region is wrong and won't play videos and some say the IP does not match my accounts postcode.

I have had a static IP address with Virgin for over 5 years until around 4 weeks ago when it changed, please see my last post above.  I've had cable broadband for over 25 years and have never had a problem with my IP being set by an ISP over a 25 mile from my actual location, until now.  I understand that this is not a major issue but it is a big inconvenience for me.

Lette

This makes no sense at all. Most ISPs have no 'local' IP addresses, a number of big pools are shared nationwide. VM are one of a relatively few exceptions in having such 'local' addresses, most are geolocated to the HQ of the ISP or wherever the kit terminating the connection is.

This has to be a wind up? No-one would be so inept or paranoid as to expect geolocation to match postcodes on accounts? What are you trying to access GCHQ TV?

ALF28
Super solver

I had a similar issue to this where my Ip address changed and to a different location, it happened on 7/4/2024 and both my modem mode and router mode changed.  The VM host also changed indicating they had switched to a new location and the host was national block with thousands of sub directories.

I have posed recently on the issue, and was interested another customer had had similar issues.

It appears VM have been doing some changes but perhaps most people would not be aware of this unless they check the IP address. The issue is probably complex and not easy to find a solution from VM, than switching between modem mode and router mode may help, but that in itself is not easy if you have other equipment on the wifi which has to be connected again, as I had to do takes a day to sort it all out unless you have ethernet then swopping over leads from own router back to the hub.

So not sure why it might have happened, but have used VM for 23 years and have always previously had a local correct location, it may be to do with the IT now been done by another company recently for VM

My understanding is that the hub or router has to be disconnected fro 7 days for the ip address to change.

The VM IP address is dynamic, so VM can change it at any time, I have had probably more than a dozen or so changes over the years, some due to updating of equipment and a new mac address will change the ip address which is worth noting down.

I noticed the speed was OK but connection was worse and more errors on the network log when I was via Huddersfield, in modem mode for a while.

Another puzzle was that my loction map changed before the IP address changed, and all this happened directly  after I used a VPN a month ago. I spoke to the VM help line and was told it may have been the VPN causing the issue, so I have removed the VPN from my computer.

I have notice whenever I have had problems with the Hub 3 it was caused by using a VPN, and I bought  my own router was better and more reliable but then VM switched me to a new IP address with a lot of network errors in he log, directly after using a VPN which was just used once recently, not normally used at all and now removed.

My VM hub modem mode switched to Huddersfield., and when I went to router mode it switched to Glasgow, both with a new IP address for each.

I left the hub in router mode and then it switched again IP address to a different one, which is local but took several days for the location to correct as the databases are updated.

There is very little info on this subject of IP  address change, and  the posts now indicate it may be normal  for the IP address to be in a different location to your own such as Scotland, Huddersfield etc due to some reorganisation of the system.

It may be possible that some  issues can be caused by the wrong location with some web sites not working correctly or making you do robot checks which is what happened to me as the VM IP address location does not match your actual location. It could be the databases for geo-location are not up to date, even though h IP registration does have the correct location, all very odd and confusing.

I finally managed to get my correct map location for my current IP address which has changed 4 times in a few weeks, but am now getting a better connection and fewer issues without  robot checks all the time, but most time VM do require a robot check to login these days.

I have not yet tried going back to modem mode, as the router mode is OK at the moment.

In modem mode VM can not  do any checks in the event of faults, which can be a disadvantage and the hub test does not work, so some advantage of being in router mode.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There's no guarantee that your WAN IP will change after 7 days. I once had the Hub turned off when I was away for a fortnight while building works were going on, and it came back to the same IP.

Personally I would rather not disclose my location to every web site I log on to, one reason for using a VPN. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

There's really no advantage to being in router mode.  Anything for which VM is responsible (i.e. your circuit) is 100% visible to any VM agent assessing your situation.  By going to modem mode, you would be providing your own WiFi and VM don't need to see that.   By staying in router mode, you are exposed to everything that VM has got wrong with WiFi.   As to the "tests", I presume you mean using the wretched CONNECT app - which is another of VM's fails (see this forum for details).  You'll know if something isn't working well by your online experience and you don't need CONNECT to tell you less than you already know.

@ALF28 wrote:

<SNIP>

I have not yet tried going back to modem mode, as the router mode is OK at the moment.

In modem mode VM can not  do any checks in the event of faults, which can be a disadvantage and the hub test does not work, so some advantage of being in router mode.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Thank for the comments which are useful and I do agree there are advantages to using your own router, if The IP address  location is wrong I found some websites had problems and needed robot checks which sometimes failed prevent use of some websites.

In router mode I have not had any problems but undecided if I will return to modem mode as it takes a while to switch everything, I have had problems with hub 3 in the past which is why I bought a cheap route and may go back to that if needed, and I agree it provides more privacy if needed.

Juligrun
Just browsing

I’m having the same issue, have been over 2 hours on the phone.

1 agent told me I need to change the email address of my account (not sure why), that didn’t solve the issue.

2nd agent was saying it is my phone and my map apps (though the problem always and only happens when I’m connected to the wifi)

3rd agent, is telling me the same, it is basically my phone!!!! Have two computer engineer friends that clearly told me that I need to call VM to ask them to give me a new IP address for the router (not the local)

ANY OF THEM advised me anything like that, and the worst and unbelievable part is that hey are transferring to a Team, and if they are able to solve this, THEY WILL CHARGE ME.

I can’t wait for my contract to finish and never EVER sign a contract with this company who steals your money and don’t have ANY engineer. Please let me know if you solve it so people can see the solution here and not be charged for an issue THEY should fix for free!!!!!