cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wifi signal

Charley2
Joining in

I am struggling to get a wifi signal in my apartment outside of the living room (where the router is set up).
For info..I live in a new build 2 bed apartment..all walls are hellish thick and every door is fire rated..so the apartment is great for energy efficiency but apparently woeful for WiFi connectivity!

I have tried the app ‘room scanner’ to prove bad signal and get a wifi booster but low and behold when I leave the living room and take the 5 steps to the bedroom it tells me I must be ‘outside’ as the connection completely drops off (surprise surprise)….and…no wifi connection = no room scanning = no further help with my issue! 🤦🏻‍♀️ can someone advise what I’m to do now? I have not had the best experience with Virgin Media call centres or ‘service’ teams..so was hoping it could be an easy online fix! 

Thanks!!

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If your rooms are as bad as you say, you will need to wire up any access points.  Look at Powerline Adaptors and forget the VM Pods as they will need a strong WiFi connection to the Hub to work. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Your super efficient wall insulation very likely includes aluminium foil which is a perfect RF screen. Even the best WiFi system is going to give poor results from one room to the next. Your best alternative will very likely be powerline adaptors. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Charley2.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with the WIFI coverage in your property.

I did run a few tests from here on your hub and can see that you are on our Volt bundle.

With you being on this we can send out a maximum of 3 pods free of charge.
I'd like to take a look into getting the first pod sent out and take it from there if you require any more.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the Logo top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Charley2
Joining in

Thanks everyone! I will try a pod and failing that look into purchasing the power line thing, as I’d prefer not to be spending more money than I have to! 
The issue I have with the signal is that I doing the test in the same room works fine, then as soon as I leave the room ….the download mbps drops from 248 to 17 and upload speed from 26 to 0. As soon as I close the door the signal disappears entirely. 
thanks everyone I will see how it goes from here!