cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No signal in bedroom

VWHEROICS
Joining in

Just moved our router into another room downstairs but now my son has no signal at all in his bedroom upstairs (cannot even perform an Ookla speed test). I have been informed by a virgin technician that if speed is below 10mb then that means the hub is unserviceable and I am entitled to a free upgrade to the hub 5 or the latest hub. Please help. Thank you 

10 REPLIES 10

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

How did you move the Hub?  If it wasn't done by a VM technician then you may have caused the problem.

What you have said about '10mb' is nonsense. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the VM connect app shows poor WiFi then you can request a WiFi Pod, not a new Hub. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

What an engineer said .... another work of fiction.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

OK @VWHEROICS. Here is the serious answer.

Put the Hub back in its original place with its original cables. Phone in to book a technician non-fault visit for £25.  They will move the Hub properly to the best place and make any necessary adjustments to signal levels.

You can then decide how to improve the WiFi coverage. You will find genuine expert advice on here. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @VWHEROICS 👋.

Thanks for reaching back out to us, apologies you are having issues with the signal in various areas of your home and diagnosing the speeds for the WiFi Max pods, so that we can look into this for you, we would need to bring you in for a private message. Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina

Hub is fine where it is it's just one room in house that gets no signal..A new hub 5 will sort it. I cannot have the hub by the stairs because ethernet cables aren't long enough to connect to TV in other room..I have had hub in this room before and it's worked fine. Getting new updates hub. Thanks anyway but of course I'll listen to virgin technical 

Client62
Legend

Do be aware that VM Hubs all have about the same Wi-Fi coverage,
also the Hub 5 is notorious for its inability to work with 2.4GHz IoTs.

@VWHEROICS wrote:

Hub is fine where it is it's just one room in house that gets no signal..A new hub 5 will sort it. I cannot have the hub by the stairs because ethernet cables aren't long enough to connect to TV in other room..I have had hub in this room before and it's worked fine. Getting new updates hub. Thanks anyway but of course I'll listen to virgin technical 

Please do be aware that you haven’t spoken at all to ‘VM technical’, you have spoken to a call centre worker, who probably is a perfectly intelligent individual, but due, to the lack of training has about as much technical knowledge of how this works, as a house brick and are incentivised to tell you anything to get you off the call! Sorry, don’t mean to be offensive, but this is really true!

This person who told you that if the speed was under 10 Mb/s, then you are entitled to a Hub 5, would that be the aforementioned ‘customer service’ provision? If so, then  I”m afraid, you were lied to, no Hub 5 for you! They simply told you what you wanted to hear, closed the call and chalked up another ‘success’. I promise you, absolutely promise you, that no Hub 5 has been ordered and is on its way!

@Client62 wrote:

Do be aware that VM Hubs all have about the same Wi-Fi coverage,
also the Hub 5 is notorious for its inability to work with 2.4GHz IoTs.

And you think they might have actually ordered one? Or have they just fobbed the customer off with some pointless rubbish "I have been informed by a virgin technician that if speed is below 10mb then that means the hub is unserviceable and I am entitled to a free upgrade to the hub 5” - really, we both know what the validity of this is!

And yes, you are right the Hub 5 has no better coverage and the firmware does seem to not be too reliable with 2.4GHz only devices.