cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple access points for broadband

Chemmo
Joining in

Hi,

I recently moved into a property with two access points already set up, one is in the lounge (presumably for TV previously), and another in a separate office building (for internet). We do not have an internet package but would like to access broadband from both locations. Is this possible without running an ethernet cable to the separate building? Am I able to use another router to connect to the network simultaneously to the Virgin router or is there another way?

Thank you in advance

David

3 REPLIES 3

Client62
Legend

If there is an access point in the separate office building how was it connected by the previous occupier ?

To link between two building on the same mains phase it is possible to use a device like :
https://www.screwfix.com/p/tp-link-av1000-powerline-starter-kit/326kx

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

No, you cannot have two VM hubs. The best option as always it to run an Ethernet cable from the hub to the other room and plug it into a gigabit network switch (see my sig for an example of one of them). If you need WiFi connect a WAP to the switch.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

fibreking
On our wavelength

If point-to-point WiFi isn’t your thing, then technically you could use MoCA adapters to run Ethernet over Coax. The existing coax to the office would need disconnecting from the splitter so needs a bit of technical input and do read the VM T&C’s.