cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag, packet loss, unstable connetion for over a year now

DannyEvans
Just joined

Hello All

I want to share with you the pain and torture it is dealing with this company, not only with their customer service online but also the engineers

Took out virgin media around 2019-2020. Router came everything fine and worked fine up until around 18 months ago when the network kept dropping out. This later turned out to be a fault in the area and then an upgrade to their hardware in the area which resulted in days with no Internet. Ever since this work was complete my connection has become so unstable I can barely stream a film and if it does come on it renders in at 360P ( I was on 250mb at the time ) package. Online gaming? Good luck with that! 

Ran some network tests and was getting 100% packet loss. Contacted virgin media and an engineer was sent out

1st visit. Engineer arrived " there is a knick in the cable outside, I'll get it sorted and get you a cable rebury booked.  Cable done, rebury done. Same issues. Contacted virgin again. Sent another engineer

2nd visit - faulty hub apparently. Hub changed still same issue. Back onto virgin

3rd visit- faulty hub..... replaced again. Same issues

Back onto virgin. " your speeds are fine " I know the speeds are fine but the connection is unstable I can't do anything. Advised gaming is impossible online and I'm connected to LAN. The resolution? " I'll send you a WiFi pod.....

Obviously same issues. Engineer booked again

4th visit - cab outside is out of balance. I'll contact them and get it sorted and we will let you know when the work is done. Didn't hear a thing. 

Contacted again. Advisor tells me I need to upgrade. New contract, same issues but hey 500mb now!

At this point I gave up until a week ago when it became unbearable. A senior engineer was sent out this time.

Engineers advises me that if I contact virgin again then I'll start getting charged a call out fee. This is before he even does anything. He then tells me nothing will be wrong without checking anything. I show him pictures of the upload speed at around 1mb. He says virgin are not responsible for upload?? He then asks me to turn the PlayStation on and show him it not working. I load up efootball, connection straight away is gone, button input 5 seconds behind, game freezing and catching its self up. Engineer then advises he knows the issue now and it is because I'm playing a free PlayStation game ( I wish I was making this up ) and that the issue is with them. When challenged why a free PlayStation game would make my chromecast not work or my ring doorbell to not connect to the Internet I was greeted with silence

So here I am, still with an awful connection and none the wiser why it's gone. It can't be an issue with my set up as I've tried the chromecast on its own on WiFi and had the issues and I've tried the PS connected with ethernet with nothing connected to WiFi and still get the same issues.

So I suppose this is a last effort for virgin to see this and maybe actually acknowledge the issue

Any advise would be greatly appreciated but I think it's safe to say I will be leaving virgin as soon as I can. No full fibre in my area but I'd rather have a stable 50mb connection than 500mb and not know if I can watch a bit of Netflix today!

2 REPLIES 2

Cardiffman282
Problem sorter

Raise a formal written complaint over the missold speed upgrade and pod. Link is below. 

Start a BQM to further monitor your connection. Share the public link here. Link is below. 

Share all of your hub stats here. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Nice one! Will get onto this