cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with connection - M250, Hub3

RT123
Tuning in

Good afternoon,

I'm not the account holder (although they would be able to pass security if needed) but there is an issue with my connection and was wondering if anyone can help.

I've been experiencing some latency issues for some time, but this has worsened to the point of being unable to play games. The problem is caused by latency variation/lag spikes and occurs on both WiFi and Ethernet.

VM CS have been very unhelpful - the most recent attempt to contact them on Twitter resulted in an offer to recontract and change the speed and the Hub to a Hub 5.I tried it without any devices using the WiFi and it still happened (so much for having 17 devices connected - like Twitter said) so I don't think it would help.

An engineer was also sent out on Thursday who replaced a part (attenutor) but the issue persists - the VM phone line (150)  still says there's an intermittent fault but won't allow the AH to speak with them/book engineer. Every time the AH tries to be transferred by Retentions, the call cuts out.  We've also tried to contact the executive office with no result.

I'm also experiencing a lot of buffering, particularly when watching YouTube and livestreams. The connection is also unreliable - with regular dropouts lasting a few hours.

I'm autistic and this is very stressful to me as I am unable to play games.At this point, we would like the broadband to be terminated early - there is Openreach FTTP in the area that would be more reliable.
Screenshot 2024-04-05 205301.png

I do not work for VM, just trying to help!
2 REPLIES 2

Client62
Legend

It is normal for VM to not book an engineer home visit when there is a known fault that is affecting several customers in your street, that known fault will be fixed first and will likely solve your issues.

If you decide to cancel, pay close attention to the early termination fees before proceeding.

Cancel by signed for letter : https://www.virginmedia.com/help/cancel-virgin-media

Cancel online : https://www.virginmedia.com/support/help/broadband-tv-and-landline?openExternal=true

RT123
Tuning in

They've finally booked another engineer visit - there's issues with downstream power levels apparently. I'm just very unhappy because surely this would've been present when the engineer came on Thursday - given that Friday was when the line was reporting the intermittent fault. This is not an area issue - it is not reported asuch on the Service Status page anyway.

On Ethernet, the ping reaches around 150-200ms in the first moments of a game. When the ping finally reduces, there's constant latency variation errors and skipping.

Also, wouldn't gaming be affected by upload (upstream?) rather than downstream power levels?

I'm also pretty much certain it won't fix the issue, as I get the impression it's a general issue with the VM system (HFC/DOCSIS) combined with the Hub 3?

Why should anyone pay an early termination charge when it's because of a fault?

I do not work for VM, just trying to help!