cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to have broadband without TV or phone?

l1undy
Just joined

On the VM website when ordering a new package it's possible to order JUST broadband without phone or TV and it confirms that the price for the whole 18 month contract is £41.

My contract is coming to and end and I'm currently paying £74 a month. For this I have 1gig broadband, TV and phone. My bill shows £10 for TV and £19 for the phone. I have never had the TV box or a phone plugged in I just don't use them.

I tried the online chat to see what they could do for me but even after repeating multiple times that I don't use either they just kept asking what TV I wanted and when I make calls. Then kept offering me the same package I have now for the same price or more and acting like they were doing me a favour.

I just want internet, and want to know I'm not paying for services I will never use.

I'm very close to cancelling and going elsewhere, yes I'll have to have normal broadband but Jesus VM have annoyed me.

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM will always try to sell you a bundle of services and resist letting you have broadband only. It is usually the case that VM will price a bundle of services for the 18 month minimum term (often broadband+phone) cheaper than they will price broadband only.

What other options do you have in your area? Do you actually need the higher tier speeds VM offers if you move to broadband only?

Seems increasingly to be the case on here that acceptable renewal offers only come through once you have given your 30 day cancellation notice (having marketing preferences turned on is suggested to allow any retentions call to take place).

If you want broadband only, and VM won't offer it to you at an acceptable price, it's time to switch supplier.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are an existing customer you should be able to get the deal minus any new customer discount. In other words if there is a reduction for the first few months & then it increases, you will pay the increased price from the start.

VM new customer deals are loss leaders & lose them money so unless you are very lucky ( & hand in your notice to leave, not just threaten to do so) you won’t get the new customer price.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If you don't use the box then it's just a waste of money being a Pay TV customer. Unless alternatives are dire, switch to another (and cheaper) ISP.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi I1undy

Thank you for your post, welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to arrange a more suitable deal when speaking with our team. Usually, the more services you have with us, the cheaper they'll be due to package discounts. This will likely be why we've offered bundles with services you didn't need in order to prioritise the pricing for you.

I'll drop you a PM so I can have another look at our offers for you and I will ensure a complaint has been raised for you too.

Thanks,

Beth