cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet takes too long to load anything on laptop/browser ONLY the first time I'm loading the website.

snikranivek
Joining in

I recently joined Virgin Media and had a technician come out and set everything up. The internet does work BUT whenever I first try to load a website, it does not load. It says there's an error connecting to the server. Every time. Sometimes it takes 5 mins. BUT, this only happens the first time I try to load it. Once it does load then it is fine. It's fine on my phone, and my TV, but laptop takes forever. I use Firefox, and I know for a fact it's not a laptop or browser issue as it has always worked fine with other internet connections. Prior to joining Virgin Media, I had to use my phone hotspot for internet and my laptop was fine on that. I'm currently on Wi-Fi but hope to get an ethernet cable soon.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Alessandro Volta

I also use Firefox and I don't have this issue of slow initial access to websites.

Check Firefox is using the default DNS :
Firefox >> Settings >> Privacy & Security >> DNS over  HTTPS >> OFF   ( to use the VM DNS )

Could you try some of the problem websites in Edge browser to see if the first access delay persists ?

No, I'm not changing browser over a ISP issue. I did however, just manually change my DNS settings in my Windows Network settings to 8.8.8.8 and it works perfectly again.

Client62
Alessandro Volta

What DNS was in the Windows Network settings before the change to Google Public DNS ?

It was set to Auto

Hey snikranivek, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

How has it been over the last few days, are you still having some issues? 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?