cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Issues

fozzy9876
Tuning in

Hi,

For the last month I have been experiencing poor internet connectivity. The internet will be fine for hours or days at a time but then connections start dropping and packet loss is so bad its very obvious when working or gaming etc

There are no reported problems in my area.

This is a screenshot of my connection on the 26th December!

2023-12-26.png

I work from home using a VPN which can drop every few minutes. This internet connection is basically unusable when there's problems as i am unable to work. I read you can claim compensation but i just want the issue fixed or switch ISP without paying a fee for exiting the contract early. Not sure where to go from here, am I best raising a formal complaint vias this link?

https://my.virginmedia.com/my-cases/make-a-complaint

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Legend

The patterns are quite odd, almost like an RFI emitting machine is turn on / off, but the times of night + day don't match with normal patterns for domestic or business activity.

What do the VM Hub's Upstream and Downstream stats look like during one of the storms of dropped BQM Packets?

Cardiffman282
Super solver

When you say no reported problems have you called 0800 561 0061 to check? 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Might be a` bad connection somewhere - try this.

Do a quick check that all of your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing.  Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box. 

Then, what devices do you have plugged into the Hub on ethernet cables?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Not that number but the online checker: Check Service Status | Broadband, Landline & TV | Virgin Media

No packet loss just now but I will check next time there are problems. The network log does have critical errors  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out but no idea if relevant

Thanks. Checked the wiring and everything appears to be ok. Virgin are monitoring the line today so hopefully they will find the cause of the problem.

fozzy9876
Tuning in

Someone came out within a couple of days and fixed the issue. Possibly caused by dirt on the coax connections on the box on the internal wall. No packet loss at all since then so I think the problem is sorted. 

Hi fozzy9876

Thank you for the update.

Were happy to hear this is now resolved. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide